• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce receiver hitch

Mike944

Hey everybody,

I wanted to post some photos of the receiver hitch I made for my deuce.

It's super heavy duty. the side plates are 1/2" thick steel, and the tube is 3.5" square, with about 1/4" wall thickness.

the ball in the first photo is a 2-5/16, to give you an idea of scale. I wanted something indestructible.

IMG_2541.jpgIMG_2539.jpgIMG_2540.jpg

tobyS

Nice and heavy. I hope the receiver is thick too, the one on my pickup is getting loose from use.

My M35 gets one too but I may go with the 2 1/2" (I think class V) or mount both sizes. I use 2 5/16" ball on everything, even my little Ford ranger rear clip that has my portable welder has a 2 5/16" ball. I came across the 2" Reece insert portion for $10 and new 2 5/16 balls for $5 a couple days ago (bought a couple).

I hope you used good bolts, a load like 4 tons on a dump trailer can have a lot of leverage with long side arms. Enjoy!

Mike944

I debated using a 2.5" receiver, but in the end, I don't expect to use it much, and nothing over 7K, so I went with the standard 2" Those are the pieces I have laying around.

Bolts are high-strength, but probably a little small. They're temporary. I had to finish this up on short notice to tow a cub scout float in a memorial day parade. Before I tow any serious weight, i'll increase bolt diameter and/or count.

tobyS

I wouldn't have thought about using the 2 1/2" if I had not seen some of the plug in tongue's, nice and heavy, at a surplus place for only $20. Then I noticed how the 2" fit nicely inside of the 2 1/2", with pin holes aligning and everything. Thus the 2 1/2" would fit that size receiver or the 2" (making a spacer)...which I have several of (2").

rustystud

That's a good looking hitch. The only thing I would do is one: Bore out the mounting holes to 3/4" and use grade 8 bolts. Then add a couple of brackets to the back and mount it further in on the frame. My class 5 hitch ( 2.5" ) I bought was for a 1 ton Chevy and it had almost two feet long mounting brackets with over 10 mounting holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks