• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not the way it’s supposed to be

peglegwillie

Got most the crap out. Had to be half a tub of grease in it. Doing a tear down anyway, checked drum it’s good replacing seals probably bearings. Getting a small parts kit for brakes maybe even new shoes grease in everything. Other side looks good but will take apart to check it out.
Still questioning why only one lock nut with key way and lock ring, few videos show the same.
any ideas from others ?

Iceman3005

Rear only has the adjusting nut, key and the snap lock ring to stop the adjusting nut from coming off. All late 14 bolts are like that, early 14 bolts had an adjusting nut, followed by a lock washer, then a lock nut. The front has an adjusting nut followed by the lock washer, then a lock nut.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

I just noticed that your brakes are rotated in the wrong direction, the wheel cylinder should be at the 12'o clock position.

peglegwillie

Yes position of rear on jack stands tried to rotate it but fell off stands still I’ll get it in position to take apart. Going to clean parts in a tub. Then check shoes to see if usable if not I’ll get new ones .

peglegwillie

Drums

Removed brakes , wheel cylinders, all parts need replaced except driver side shoes , while covered in grease seems no ware showing, passenger side front shoe worn bad, rear bout half !
Thank y’all for assistance haven’t done anything larger than 9” ford in quite a while!216CC025-DCCD-4ABE-B9CD-F082CC0FF1B9.jpg17D94044-97BE-4DDE-8158-09B409E47B2F.jpg Both drums cleaned up well and can be used!DC104CA1-BDC8-4B98-B1B9-54A10B211B10.jpg61631F2F-42DA-4221-A5AF-76360FEE8078.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Removed brakes , wheel cylinders, all parts need replaced except driver side shoes , while covered in grease seems no ware showing, passenger side front shoe worn bad, rear bout half !
Thank y’all for assistance haven’t done anything larger than 9” ford in quite a while!View attachment 731564View attachment 731565 Both drums cleaned up well and can be used!View attachment 731566View attachment 731567
Replace all the shoes ! Even though there is no wear they absorbed the grease. When you go to stop with one side new and one side with grease in it guess what happens ! The heat releases the grease (oil) and causes the same problem you had. Replace both sides.

peglegwillie

Yes all need replaced

Replace all the shoes ! Even though there is no wear they absorbed the grease. When you go to stop with one side new and one side with grease in it guess what happens ! The heat releases the grease (oil) and causes the same problem you had. Replace both sides.
I am even after soaking in cleaner can’t be sure it’s all out, besides surprisingly new shoes are not that expensive and well worth the money and being assured won’t fail.
Thank you.

rustystud

I am even after soaking in cleaner can’t be sure it’s all out, besides surprisingly new shoes are not that expensive and well worth the money and being assured won’t fail.
Thank you.
When I was still a young apprentice, this older mechanic came up to inspect my work. He noticed I had reused the old shoes. I explained that after cleaning them up they where in perfect condition. He told me "so you think their OK ? Well lets see" . He then got the small propane torch out and started to heat up the shoes. It didn't take long before oil started coming out of the lining. He then went on to explain that during braking the shoes would get hotter then what he was applying with the torch. I would have had a brake failure and a "come-back" job if I had let them go out like that.
So whenever I have oil (or grease) soaked shoes they get replaced no matter what.

tourus

replace the drums as well they are warped and worn. the drums are not much money either. seals and bearings while you are there and then forget for about 5-10 years any way. even though the drums "look good" there is small grooves that the new shoes will ride on and not be as strong stopping power as new drum and new shoes would be. and the grooves will cause brake noise. ever hear the tractor trailer howl or squeal when stopping?? the major cause of that is new shoes and old drums that "looked good". the old drums will have heat warp in the and can cause brake pulsing that you could and will fell in the brake pedal. you are right there any way replace the drums.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not simply install rear disc brakes? My M1028 stops like a sports car, going forward or backward, even when soaking wet. It only costs a little more. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks