• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Request advice - P400 coming

richingalveston

did you get the ho cw water pump, i need one for mine. using stock one now and before i put it back together i would like to upgrade it and also get the rear cooling system sold here on ss.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
did you get the ho cw water pump, i need one for mine. using stock one now and before i put it back together i would like to upgrade it and also get the rear cooling system sold here on ss.
Yes the FlowKooler clockwise pump arrived but I have not yet installed it. It appears to be an outstanding part. FlowKooler does not utilize used/reconditioned pump housings, but instead has their housings cast new at a foundry. The impeller is not cast but CNC cut from billet aluminum and anodized. Nice work. Here's a link -

https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.co...95-1982-1993-chevy-gmc-6-2l-diesel-water-pump

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the Harland sharp part number?
Are you seriously considering this option? Leroy has the part on his page for $600 + freight. I actually considered installing a set but didn't think the Return On Investment was there. Do you really think it makes that much difference?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But I am considering it. How serious I am would depend on more research. I have a civi square body with a 6.2 that I am planning on doing a project on for fuel mileage. This is one reason I'm interested on how well your headers work out. I have read about a suburban with a built 6.2 with the Harland sharp rockers. He ended up using tool steel for the rod. It seemed to work well. But I am still in the research phase. So I can't give you a good answer on my opinion about any difference they would make. I'm hoping Rich will chime in here.

richingalveston

for the five minutes mine ran, the Harland sharp rockers were quiet. make sure you get the install instructions, I have my motor back apart because of the lack of instruction.

The spacers have to be ground to fit due to improper manufacturing, it is very simple to do but if you do not, you will be taking it back apart to check for damage. in my case it appears I have no damage, the rockers seized while at idle.
I am doing a compression test this week to check for bent valves but so far the lifters, rockers and rods are all ok. (checked travel of rods with dial indicator all are the same. removed lifters and rods and inspected all parts).

I was going to do the p400 but instead went with gep and spent the difference in roller rockers and the timing gear upgrade The gep and both upgrades were cheaper than p400. It only ran for 5 minutes with only one small easy increase in rpm to around 1500, as I was checking all fluids and it was coming up to temperature the motor died. I have no exhaust just a 4 inch elbow from the turbo and it was quieter than my 6.2 with the hood shut and the stock muflers. At this time I have no front fenders or hood. I think the two upgrades made the motor quiet.

What I read in forums prior to purchase was the gears make the timing more precise than the chain so you get less rattle from better timing and the stamped rockers have chatter where these do not so that is the reason for the quieter motor. I had the money to burn at the time and I think it did help. Also did fluid dampner.

my two cents. I will update my own post once the motor is back together. just chiming in here about the rockers since I actually own them.

Rich

Burning Oil

There were only five sets of HS rocker arms that got out to the world. I recalled all of those except for the one guy that wanted to do like I did and fix the ones he had. I made a video of that fix on Youtube.
HS has since fixed the problem.

My P400 is the quietest 6.5 I have ever heard, I to have the HS rockers (1.6 non adjustable), and my TimeKeeper set. I used to think it was just that the P400 had more mass to it than other 6.5s so that was making it quite? Ive had several people tell me know that after the TimeKeeper set their engine runs quieter now.

richingalveston

mine did not get recalled and they were bad, the video was after my purchase or was not available during the time of my purchase. It was not until mine failed that the video was found and that was 8 to 10 months after purchase.
my truck has been being build for 6 years. It can sit for 6 to 8 months before I have the time again to spend on it.

not going to argue here but mine were bad and did not get recalled.

yes I think the timing gear and rockers take a lot of the rattle out of the motor.

Rich

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, I made the decision to pass on the HS rockers and timing gears because I did not want to “open up” that new GEP P400. It wasn’t due to cost because everybody knows I’m spending my last rodeo. My goal with this engine is to have a smooth cool-running and free-breathing reliable NA power plant. Quietness? Heck it’s a diesel and I want to hear a diesel when it’s running. If I had wanted quietness I would have installed a SBC with tight mufflers. Gas mileage? Naw. I don’t care what kind of mileage I get. There will not be one word about fuel mileage on my tombstone. So why else would I want to spend another $600 of my daughter’s inheritance and run the risk of another HS error? As the saying goes, “to each his own’. If my goal was to build a racing 6.5 to produce mega HP, yes I would have opted for all the bells and whistles. But for me to cruise around for a while in my final years, that factory GEP timing chain and those crappy GEP factory rockers will be just fine, thank you.

richingalveston

I would not open it up either if you are not going to turbo it.
I would not worry about having problems with the rockers, they are a quality product just an error on mine. everyone makes mistakes, it just happens to be all on my truck.
It is a hobby and a stress relief for me so I don't stress some more wrench turning.

I think your battery setup will work. my first blazer was from a radio guy and he had an isolator of some fashion in the truck but took that with him.

I did not go serpentine route on my truck, kept cucv system using j-code intake and the water cross over. The p400 may not accept these.
I think you definitely need the 6.5 ip and injectors but make sure you get one set up for NA and not turbo, I am pretty sure the settings are different.
If you have not driven a 6.2 with and overdrive you will be kicking yourself when you do. it needs more horses or every little incline it will kick down to third and that will piss you off.

with the drivetrain you have I would even turbo your motor. even a bank kit would wake it up. but don't try to put a banks kit on with a different turbo. the banks turbo is real small. most other turbos will require an inner fender trim.
go with the 6.5 turbo setup if you ever do the turbo.

but most of all, make it a real 6.5 so it can push your tranny.

Rich

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich - thanks for the comments. I am photodocumenting my P400 install in my rebuild thread. Not sure you were aware of that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks