• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can anyone back up a M101?

snowtrac nome

If you read the old army drivers manual they state when backing a trailer hold your steering wheel at the bottom when you have to turn or correct move the wheel in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go, than follow the trailer around. doing it this way takes the thinking backwards out of the equation. We used to have races at the motor pool backing up trailers with m151's.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you read the old army drivers manual they state when backing a trailer hold your steering wheel at the bottom when you have to turn or correct move the wheel in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go, than follow the trailer around. doing it this way takes the thinking backwards out of the equation. We used to have races at the motor pool backing up trailers with m151's.
Many years ago - yes, in a galaxy far, far away - that is how I was taught to back a trailer.

I was also, both instructed and by lots of trial & error on my own, "educated" in the "geometry" of a shorter tow vehicle (with an inherently tighter turning radius) EASIER to back a trailer with since the steering inputs more readily induce the trailer's directional response.
HENCE, backing a short trailer with a long tow vehicle must be done more carefully since your corrective inputs must be immediate and decisive, else your trailer will go astray QUICKLY !
CONVERSELY, a LONG trailer with a SHORT tow vehicle is far more forgiving to exaggerated, delayed, or otherwise errant steering commands.

This is evidenced by the use of SHORT day cab style tractors being utilized for in-city and local delivery operations. Whereas, long tractors with their smoother riding suspensions and greater wheel-bases are preferred for over-the-road operations. Yard Tractors (aka: Mules) are also VERY SHORT tow vehicles for spotting semi-trailers quickly and precisely.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I worked jet engine test cell, getting the very-long TF39 (C5 Galaxy) engine trailer into the somewhat narrow cell could be challenging, especially since it needed to be placed within a very small area so that the hoist could lift or lower the engine. The tow vehicle we had was a Ford F-350 bobtail. As mentioned previously it is immensely easier to connect the trailer to the front pintle and push it vs backing it.

My Jeep has a front receiver so if I should need more precision when positioning the trailer I can swap the pintle to the front and push it. When I had my other M1101 and lived in the townhouse, that's how I got the trailer to the garage door if my neighbor was parked in the driveway.

Attachments

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to tug some multi million dollar private jets with a tug that had a horrible clutch. I just remember the captains watching me Inch the clutch out for what seemed like forever, knowing if I jerked the nose wheel of the jet they would jump my cheet. Not like backing a trailer, but like backing anything, it took practice in that you drove the wheel then followed it.

Practice. None of it came easy.

Small trailers with long wheel base trucks are the hardest.

Even the 1082 behind the 923 is a bugger to back up in tight conditions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've backed mine with a deuce, it's a challenge. If you can't see the trailer sides, add a magnetic extension so you you can see the reactive movements.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have the same issue, pull a 40" camper for work and do OK but trying to back the 105 with the deuce gives me fits. It's all about vehicle wheelbase, measurement from rear axle center to hitch, hitch to center of trailer axles. Being use to the 5th wheel/ goose-neck I would assume you're over correcting as I do? 2cents

WSTEPHENS

I used my trailer today with my new hitch that allowed me to get it closer to level and it also pushes the trailer axle farther away from the the truck's rear axial. I was able back it into the dump transfer station better than was able to before which was not at all. I did notice that the trailer was responding slower to input from my truck that I finally got in to the door. It was not straight and but I got it there. The new hitch is a class V with 9" inches of adjustment down and 6' up and is a combo with a 2" and 2-5/16" ball and pintel hook. I used the 2-5/16" ball and it took up more room in the luna ring.
new hitch set up.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having owned my M101A2 for several years I have found it easier to just use my drivers side mirror, do slow movements and just look down the side of the truck.
I can parallel park it with ease now too.
Speaking of that, I have wanted to bring my 101 Adventure trailer (when finished) packed the the gills, pull it with my wife’s car/suv, come to the “Shops of Legacy” (Shmancy fancy shopping/eating venue North of Dallas with horrible parking) put some nanny cams in the car and toss the keys to the valet and walk off.

Love to see that footage, hear that conversation.

They would probably just just leave it there. City kids drive Bently Macleran and Porche every day but have never pulled a trailer in their life.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tinstar mentioned the key, practice.

I back my 101 all over the place around here. A couple of weeks ago I backed it with 2400lbs of bagged mulch around two trees and up to the front of the house. Practice.

My practice first came from towing my Dad's Ditch Witch trencher loaded on his single axle trailer with a Bronco. Man that thing could turn quick. Practice.

Practice

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tinstar mentioned the key, practice.

I back my 101 all over the place around here. A couple of weeks ago I backed it with 2400lbs of bagged mulch around two trees and up to the front of the house. Practice.

My practice first came from towing my Dad's Ditch Witch trencher loaded on his single axle trailer with a Bronco. Man that thing could turn quick. Practice.

Practice
PRACTICE ? ! ? ! ?

Whooda thunk it!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
go slow and move your corrections fast without over correcting its not to bad but go slow!
And, keep the steering wheel movements small! Aim to only move from the 6 o'clock position to the 7 or 5 with your steering hand. I do the same thing with the MKT trailers, since they are not visible except in the side mirrors of the shop vans. And, when I'm backing in to hitch up with them, I put a 10 foot 2 x 4 on the top of the lunette, then backup till the open pintle knocks it off. Easy to watch and make sure I have the same length of board sticking out on each side of the truck as I'm backing into position.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, that reminds me of the one and only time I have called the police on a drunk boater. Could not get his trailer in the water. After a dozen tries only making it 1/4 way down the ramp. I walked up to him and offered to do it for him. He obliged. He then proceeded to destroy the hull and prop on his $75k boat trying to get it on the trailer, forward ... reverse ... they are so similar when you are trashed.

It was a weekday at 10 pm we were the only two at the ramp, cops show up about the time he pulls the boat out.

I didnt stick around to see what happened since it was obvious who called the cops.

Im guessing it might not have been his first offense. Probably his daddy’s boat too.

Ouch.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watching the boat ramp action is a lake ritual.

Lake Havasu's AZ public boat ramp is a blast to watch. Any busy lake ramp actually.
It’s amazing how many people can not backup a trailer or unload/load a boat., or even remove trailer tie down straps before entering water.
Forgetting to install drain plug is a good one also.
Definitely worth an hour or two of watching.
The bikini views are awesome too!

I had to launch my Father-in-laws Sea-Doos, driving his van.
The boat ramp is three lanes
Unfamiliar vehicle and trailer.
Unfamiliar lake and ramp.
Long line of people waiting to use launch.
Pressure was definitely felt with 40+ people watching your every move.

Luckily I nailed it on both launch and recovery.

The Sea-Doo Trailer roughly about same length as my M101A2s.

Practice makes Perfect.......something like that anyway.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not off topic. I launched my boat beside another guy on a weekday. No boat traffic to speak of. Three lanes. Three hours later I came back and his truck was there on the ramp. But his boat was nowhere to be seen. I felt his hood. Cold.

Idiot launched his boat same time as me and left his truck parked there on the ramp for three hours. Maybe he just didn’t want to have to deal with backing it up again.

You are right tinstar. Some people with trailers never cease to amaze me. The lake ritual is unbelievable. The yelling and screaming and incompetence is amazing. Pressure doesn’t help. You have a line of people waiting, and you are on stage.

I have had a boat boat from the day I have had a drivers license. I have been launching by myself in
less time than a family can launch.

But then again, we are a special group. :)

Scrounger

Sadly, some people will never get it. With practice most can become proficient enough to get the job done. There were a few surprised looks a few years ago at Aberdeen when I backed a 105 behind a XM971 trailer into a parking space. The 971 is a 36’ tandem axle semitrailer. Backing that trailer in an open parking lot, during the day, was easy. Try hero hooking a dolly under the back trailer at two in the morning, no lights, when it’s raining, the yard is blocked till you finish, if you want a challenge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks