• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ready for the long haul!

NVFireFighter

Well, I will be driving my M35a2 from Mooresville,Indiana to Fallon,Nevada starting Friday June 15th. I'm going to do the Wal-Mart run for the basics....air mattress,sleeping bag and pillow. Oh,and a step ladder,lol. Then next morning, it's to Harbor Freight for basic tools and some chain/locks.....then I'm off!

It's a little shy of 2100 miles....wish me luck.

s-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

CAJohnny

Best of luck on the trip! I'm jealous. Got a daughter in Minden. If that truck can make it that far it would probably make it to Central California for some of our shows. I can send you a schedule. We have a member in Bishop you could team up with. He has a M135A2c, ambulance and a JEEP. Enjoy your trip.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You will need some sleep aid to take to get some rest. Your body is going to vibrate like heck after you stop each night. plan on about 450 to 500 miles a day. About 10 to 11 hours of driving. so around 4 days or more of driving.

NVFireFighter

Best of luck on the trip! I'm jealous. Got a daughter in Minden. If that truck can make it that far it would probably make it to Central California for some of our shows. I can send you a schedule. We have a member in Bishop you could team up with. He has a M135A2c, ambulance and a JEEP. Enjoy your trip.
I might be buying a M105 and we were going to meet in Lone Pine, he is from Bakersfield and it's kind of in the middle.....small world! I would like to have that schedule, thanks.

Last edited:

NVFireFighter

You will need some sleep aid to take to get some rest. Your body is going to vibrate like heck after you stop each night. plan on about 450 to 500 miles a day. About 10 to 11 hours of driving. so around 4 days or more of driving.
Aleve PM knocks me out for some reason, so two birds with one stone,lol.

I'm giving myself a full week to get back.....Gotta spend a day at the Iowa 80 truck stop! J/K :-D:-D

CAJohnny

Good place to meet. We're calling ourselves the Central Coast Convoy, but we have no rules, no dues, no officers, no meetings. Just a bunch of guys who enjoy doing the same andgetalong with each other.

July 20 and 21 2018 ATHS truck Show in Nipomo, CA

Sept. 21,22,23 2018 Tower Park Fall meet and swap meet in Lodi, CA

Oct. 13 2018 89th Annual Pioneer Days Parade in Paso Robles, CA

Nov 11, 2018 Veteran's Day American Legion static display in San Luis Obispo, CA

April 2019 Calif Antique Equipment Show in Tulare, CA 3 day show

May, 2019 Memorial Day weekend. Best of the West antique equipment show and Warbird flyin. 3 day show

If you guys have anything going up there let me know. Always looking for an excuse to get on the road. I have a 1941 Dodge WC4 original so I trailer that.

gary Hanes margiandgary@charter.net Are you buying that M105 from Marc McCaslin?

NVFireFighter

Okay, well I've got about 515 miles down but I think I threw the air compressor belt! I was almost at the end of my day and it sounded and felt like a belt went.....all the gauges looked good....kept an eye on them....but when I stopped for the night and got food I noticed the air assist steering wasn't working and the gauge was almost down to less than 50 lbs. So I'm assuming since I'm going to wait until its light that it's a belt. Is it a separate only air compressor belt? Can I drive it without air to get to a parts store? I'm in desoto Iowa off the 80.....

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, well I've got about 515 miles down but I think I threw the air compressor belt! I was almost at the end of my day and it sounded and felt like a belt went.....all the gauges looked good....kept an eye on them....but when I stopped for the night and got food I noticed the air assist steering wasn't working and the gauge was almost down to less than 50 lbs. So I'm assuming since I'm going to wait until its light that it's a belt. Is it a separate only air compressor belt? Can I drive it without air to get to a parts store? I'm in desoto Iowa off the 80.....

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
The biggest issue is not having air pack working to boost the brakes. Also if you do find out it is actually the belt you may want to get some penetrating oil on the threads so we can start working to loosen up the pulley. You can definitely limp the truck a short distance if you had to, but not having air assist on the brakes would be very dangerous. The brakes are virtually useless without air.

NVFireFighter

Yep, it's a belt. But I'm stuck in bumheck Iowa on a Sunday....

So I'm looking at the motor and it seems the alternator is the Pivot point for all the belts? The compresser is kind of wonky in alignment.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

winfred

the compressor has its own belt and the pulley is a two piece arrangement that serves as the adjustment, loosen two bolts and the outer half of the pulley spins closer or away from the inner half changing the gap between the two, without the special wrench you will need soapy water to help the belt slip and a couple pipe type wrenches or channel lock pliers. i have a pic of the front of the engine on my phone ill post that may of may not be useful

NVFireFighter

It looks like I will need to loosen and take the alt belt off also. Great picture.... I hope I got enough tools at harbor to do, lol

NVFireFighter

So I loosened the 2 bolts but the pulley doesn't seem to do anything? I'm going to replace the other belt also while I'm here..... Tractor supply to the rescue. The belts are smooth but they Kevlar, good enough to get me home

winfred

the inner pulley is secured to the shaft of the compressor, the outer should spin assuming rust has not welded it solid, the two bolts just cinch it to the shaft so it doesn't turn and loose adjustment, you may need penetrating lube, i ran my outer pulley completely off the shaft and cleaned up the petrified lube then antiseized the **** out of it to prevent future issues

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks