• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

South Texas hillbilly

Hawk1326

I have been jumping around here for some time and finally decided to join up. I don’t have a military vehicle as of yet, but have a line on a Deuce and a Half. Not sure what linage as of yet. I am from San Antonio Texas. I won’t dodge where I am from and beat around the bush. My name is Ken but almost everyone calls me Hillbilly. It’s been hard to get a line on a good Deuce. You know, finding one that hasn’t been used for some backwoods fire department that trashed it and drove it like they stole it.
But any how, I have read some great post on here and hope to learn some valuable information. If all goes good I should have my Deuce in the next couple months. My dads buddy said it would be $2000 to get it. I looked online and seen some people asking $6000-$7000 for what I think to be junk. The ones I have seen are all beat up. This guy had a couple nice ones but had already sold them before I I asked him about them.
Thats enouph rambling for me guys. Hope to be here for a long time, build and cruise with y’all .

Last edited:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been jumping around here for some time and finally decided to join up. I don’t have a military vehicle as of yet, but have a line on a Deuce and a Half. Not sure what linage as of yet. I am from San Antonio Texas. I won’t dodge where I am from and beat around the bush. My name is Ken but almost everyone calls me Hillbilly. It’s been hard to get a line on a good Deuce. You know, finding one that hasn’t been used for some backwoods fire department that trashed it and drove it like they stole it.
But any how, I have read some great post on here and hope to learn some valuable information. If all goes good I should have my Deuce in the next couple months. My dads buddy said it would be $2000 to get it. I looked online and seen some people asking $6000-$7000 for what I think to be junk. The ones I have seen are all beat up. This guy had a couple nice ones but had already sold them before I I asked him about them.
Thats enouph rambling for me guys. Hope to be here for a long time, build and cruise with y’all .
Welcome form Killeen, TX!
I had my rebuilt for $6000 fully restored, I had the same hard time (I waited 15 years to pull the trigger). The guys I used take 3 months on average to fully restore the M35 of your choice.

Hawk1326

I think I have been looking at them for about 20 years now. Like I said, all the ones I had found were used in fire backwoods departments and trashed. Nothing was worth saving in my opinion. But I have run across some nice ones with this guy now and am feeling it may be time to pull the trigger on one as the price is good compared to what I have seen.

I do have a question though. I know the top speed on most of these is somewhere around 50. Is this correct or are they slightly faster? Or does it depend on the tire size?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have been looking at them for about 20 years now. Like I said, all the ones I had found were used in fire backwoods departments and trashed. Nothing was worth saving in my opinion. But I have run across some nice ones with this guy now and am feeling it may be time to pull the trigger on one as the price is good compared to what I have seen.

I do have a question though. I know the top speed on most of these is somewhere around 50. Is this correct or are they slightly faster? Or does it depend on the tire size?
Mine was a brush fire truck until it got restored, changed the bed and repainted it.

A speed demon she is not, Super singles as I understand add more MPG but the speed difference is negligible. I hear bobbing will raise speed and MPG as you are cutting out several thousand pounds in the process.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at a guy up near Dallas for a while, he had a bunch of half built ones and old brush trucks etc. He just wanted way too much for them and he never really gave me the time of day if I had any questions.

Hawk1326

I know what you mean brother. There are a lot of people out there like that. That’s why it’s so hard for the small guy to get anything or do anything. It’s hard to to break into the circle when nobody will give you the time of day. I know they are trying to keep out the idiots but it messes it up for all the great guys who just want to have a great time and creative some great friendships. I hope we can build up the trust and get to to know some other great guys and gals who just want to go out and have some fun. Peace Brothers and Sisters.....

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what you mean brother. There are a lot of people out there like that. That’s why it’s so hard for the small guy to get anything or do anything. It’s hard to to break into the circle when nobody will give you the time of day. I know they are trying to keep out the idiots but it messes it up for all the great guys who just want to have a great time and creative some great friendships. I hope we can build up the trust and get to to know some other great guys and gals who just want to go out and have some fun. Peace Brothers and Sisters.....
I sent you a PM with some info that I think will help you out.

Hawk1326

Thank you for the welcome. Soon as I get some stuff sorted out here with family I will get back on the hunt for the Deuce. It’s good to know some of you are close by as well.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the welcome. Soon as I get some stuff sorted out here with family I will get back on the hunt for the Deuce. It’s good to know some of you are close by as well.
Also always ready to help! All be it some of us (meaning me) are kind of green still.

Hawk1326

I have been doing a lot of research and found I know almost nothing. LOL. As I am sure most find this out fast starting out. There are so many options as per years or add on items. What years were power steering? Power breaks? Hard top? All the M35 brush trucks I have ever seen in my life here in Texas have been hard top. I am also looking for a titled M35 as I have to drive through San Antonio Texas 35+ Miles south to get to where my dad is at.
In Texas where does the fun happen with military vehicles? Where does everyone off road?
Lucky for me I can park it in my yard because I don’t have a HOA.
As soon as I have CIF (cash in fist) I am going to get me one. Should be in the next couple months.
Thanks for all the help so far brothers and sisters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks