• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different LMTV canvases?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many different canvases are there for the LMTV? When I was in the Army, I remembered that the forward side flaps were on top of the rear side flaps, but the current canvas I have for mine is the opposite (so the rear side flaps catch the wind and balloon out).

Mine is stamped "19207-12420281-015 MFR-0V8C5".

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can’t you reverse the canvas? Just a thought. Should have the same end flaps both sides. But it’s been a while since I have had mine rigged up

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not thinking to inside out it, but rather rotate it 180 degrees. I thought I had the same problem when I first put one on, and then I rotated it and it worked. I have two canvases here I’ll try and find numbers on when things dry out to see if they match yours I know one will be different as one is tan and the other camo. I’ve had 3 tops since I have had my truck and they all were able to have the front flap cover the rear. Maybe you have one sewn on a Friday afternoon of a long weekend, as these were made by the lowest bidder.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I see. Umm, yes, you probably could, with a few issues. The pull string to raise the "rear" flap would then be in the front, and then the front flap and rear side flaps would be facing into the wind. So it would end up with twice as many flaps facing into the wind.

scottmandu

As far as I know there are two different tops.. Cammo and Tan. I've had a dozen new ones at one time and that many used ones and they all have the flaps pointed rearward.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know there are two different tops.. Cammo and Tan. I've had a dozen new ones at one time and that many used ones and they all have the flaps pointed rearward.
I'll take a picture of mine when I have it on the truck again (I took it off a few weeks ago while offroading, so it wouldn't get raked by trees, and haven't put it back on yet.) The rear side flaps are clearly manufactured on top of the front flaps, so they scoop air while driving.

scottmandu

I'll take a picture of mine when I have it on the truck again (I took it off a few weeks ago while offroading, so it wouldn't get raked by trees, and haven't put it back on yet.) The rear side flaps are clearly manufactured on top of the front flaps, so they scoop air while driving.
Perhaps they were made wrong?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps they were made wrong?
It doesn't appear to be a mistake. The flaps are shaped differently than the typical "front side flaps on top" version, it doesn't have the black circles reinforcing the corners (they are tan), etc.

When I bought it, I was told something like "This is the later Afghanistan version, where the rear flaps scoop air to keep people in the back cooler." I didn't really pay much attention to it at the time, but now I find it annoying. The guy could have been making stuff up, or there might have been more to it.

coachgeo

Have sewn into the flap a bungee cord or even load binder strap orr??? that you can use to cinch down the flap.... when you do not want it to scoop air like hwy road travel or off-road when you do not want tree limbs grabbing the flap etc. Unhook/ un tie the sewn in piece if you do want to scoop air... like when people are in the back or??

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has the D-rings sewn into the bottom, and the rubber bungee, as well as the straps and buckles across the seam on the inside. So you can get it held down mostly ok, but it will still bellow out a few inches when going 50MPH.

coachgeo

It has the D-rings sewn into the bottom, and the rubber bungee, as well as the straps and buckles across the seam on the inside. So you can get it held down mostly ok, but it will still bellow out a few inches when going 50MPH.
buttttt..... once it is bellowed.... wouldn't it possibly be no longer be an air scoop... but more of a air deflector?

Another thought is.... before you cinch it down..... put pool noodle or pipe insulation inside then cinch it down. You will have a bump/wind deflector?..... but not a scoop maybe?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks