• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

roof mounted cab AC

deshet

Does anyone have a roof mounted AC in the cab? I have reviewed posts about the red dot units and it seems that they don't cool extremely well. I am wondering if the unit below is run off a generator. I would not mind doing this if it works well and keeps the cab cool. I don't think a inverter could keep up with the draw.

705284_6002_159_0001.jpg

What does a complete factory like setup cost in parts with compressor, brackets, and everything else required to make it work?

Has anyone tried the aftermarket AC kits usually for antique cars on ebay for around $500?

Thanks

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does a complete factory like setup cost in parts with compressor, brackets, and everything else required to make it work?
If this part of your question is about the factory LMTV A/C, so you can compare to a roof mounted one, the answer is "a lot". At the high end, there is a company selling kits that are $4500, complete. At the low end, it probably factors a lot on luck, time spent finding parts and auctions, etc., and my guess is that you're still likely to spend a couple grand (and a great many hours).

pmramsey

I looked into the roof mounted AC units several years ago. There were a few 24-volt models. I only looked at the units with all system devices mounted in the rooftop unit. I determined that a rubber mat under the unit and and additional cab insulation were necessary. The price range was in the $2,900 to $3,500 range without the additional sound and heat insulation. The units were designed for RV vehicles.

Shark Bait

I put an inverter in for a client of mine that installed a Coleman unit on theirs. It will run you out of the cab even without insulating the cab any. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

deshet

Did the inverter eat through the battery bank?
I have some very high end inverters tripplites from Ambulances that will handle the load. I don't think I will use the beast enough to put $4000+ into a proper AC setup.

Looking forward to those pictures. Are you close enough to your clients to see if it is still holding up well?

Thanks

Shark Bait

Did the inverter eat through the battery bank?
I have some very high end inverters tripplites from Ambulances that will handle the load. I don't think I will use the beast enough to put $4000+ into a proper AC setup.

Looking forward to those pictures. Are you close enough to your clients to see if it is still holding up well?

Thanks
its been in for three years. It's still working fine and the RV roof top units are only about $550. The inverter is a 12 volt, 3000 watt Xantrex. They cut the turret cover to install it, I tried to get them to make a new plate instead so the turret cover could be saved.

Plasa

I'm thinking about to mount a Bergstrom Dirna Integral Power 24V AC roof system. Seems made for offroad trucks, but I have no feedback from other customers... Do someone know if works?

Regards from Italy!

Christian

deshet

Are they running it off of alternator as a standard load or do they have a battery bank?
I am surprised that a 3000 watt inverter can handle it.
If you can find the model number of the Coleman unit I will buy the same exact one.

Thanks,

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Member profo has 2 big AC units mounted on top of his 5 ton camper and i believe 1 on top of the roof of his LMTV camper. It runs off the MEP802 engine with 5000 watt generator hooked to it and thru a large inverter. They can be found fairly cheap thru surplus. They can keep the interior his camper section at around 65 degrees constant.

deshet

I know that they will run well off a generator but if they will run off power that is already being produced through the alternator/inverter that will be better. The truck already costs alot to run so if I can utilize some of those costs to cool it down without adding more costs or noise that would be great.

If I had to run a generator long-term it would be a Gas Honda for reduced noise levels. I will probably run a Honda for the Van portion but I don't want to run a generator going down the road if possible. I have a Military Diesel Generator but it is loud and not extremely efficient.

If I go the generator route all the time, I will likely go with a Dual Split Ductless AC Unit 1 leg in the Van and 1 leg in the truck.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Duckworthe

I have the military ac mounted in my truck. I believe it is the first gen unit, (two side louvered vents and a single round center vent). I used the stock condenser and mounted behind the bumper just as these trucks would have had them mounted. I have about $2500.00 into mine total to include labor for the guy to come out and wire it, (didn't have all the correct wiring), purchase the drier from him, have all the hoses made, and then charge and test operation of it. He was a mobile guy who is used to working on Red Dot units on heavy equipment out in the field. I was first worried about what everyone was saying that the units wouldn't cool the cab well and was just poor overall. Well after reading 37 deg air out of the vents and having to turn the air down in desert at 110 degrees, I'm thinking that mine is working just fine. I did wire my condenser fans to run constant when I turn on the AC. I did this because most of my driving is slower speeds offroad with low airflow over the condenser. So instead of wearing out the fan switch I'll just make them run full time. It did take about 3 months to get all of the pieces together. I'm not saying that this is the best, right way, or only way to go about it. But I am saying that if your making the choice because you believe the system won't cool enough or correctly from what you have been reading. Mine is proof that they do work excellent. The system only takes just over 2 lbs of Freon. But that depends on how long your lines are, size of your condenser...bla, bla, bla.... I just know if your Freon levels are too low or too full it wont cool well at all. I bought my mounting brackets from a member on here and started to make some copies of the mounts to help others out but quickly found out it just wasn't worth the effort when the brackets were really only about $80-90 bucks each. Heck, here is Ca the basic ac work on a car will be anywhere from $1200-$2300 just to repair the existing unit. So that would make it about $800 anywhere else in the world! Hope this helps someone out on their decision. I don't think the parts supply has dried up at this point.
Eric 619-952-4337

deshet

Thanks part of my decision was based on comments about the red dot unit not working well and costs.

It is hard to figure out what a realistic cost is for the system. I see fair priced components but the complete systems seem to be fairly high. I also have to assume that everything surplus is as is.

Respectfully

Duckworthe

I can say that some of the parts that it takes to put this together are not cheap. The pulley alone was like $300. I have the equipment to make my own but without having the sample it was worth it just to buy it. Unless I was going to turn out like 50 of them it wasn't worth my labor. I'm personally not in it to sell and make money off of the parts. I just enjoy building my truck. I have too much "work" already in other areas of life. But I hope you figure out the best option for your truck.
Eric 619-952-4337

deshet

I doubt all surplus parts are gone. It may be a long wait to get what is needed or you may have to buy a pallet to get what you want. The DoD is always moving inventory to surplus. I am not planning to put $3000 into AC which seems like the minimum spent by most.

A Coleman roof mounted unit is probably the way that I will go.

Thanks

deshet

Are they running it off of alternator as a standard load or do they have a battery bank?
I am surprised that a 3000 watt inverter can handle it.
If you can find the model number of the Coleman unit I will buy the same exact one.

TTT

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks