• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Member map/emergency list?

rtadams89

Curious if there is already a list and I missed it (thought it might be "member map", but I can't find that now and assume I'm thinking of something on another site I frequent). Is there a listing of people, locations, support capabilities, and contact info somewhere handy should another member ever need it? Saw a post about a M35 breakdown near Tucson that got me thinking... Not expecting members to be on constant standby, but wouldn't be terrible to know that e.g., rtadams89 is in the North Phoenix area, has a M35a2 with tow bar, can help out most days after 5:00pm, and gets PMs direct to his phone.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The member map was removed due to the cost the people who hosted/supported it was pretty high per year. and Was not worth it. We used to have an Emergency breakdown thread/assistance needed but alot of people just posted in there about small at home problems and were not stranded down on the road.

Usually the word of mouth and text chain goes along way. If i see someone needs help I tend to text people I know in that area and they forward it on and such.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's been a few incarnations of it. Unfortunately every time we've had the rug pulled out from under us. Google wants $10K a year for the functionality in a commercial aspect. Last one we were using decided they wanted a grand a year for it. I thought I had an option, but it was to automated. It simply plotted users to a map based on their IP address and generalized IP geolocation.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the Member Map versions that have been used here to be helpful but it depended upon each and every user dropping a PIN on their location. It also would not allow the Member to delete or remove a PIN if it was dropped in the wrong place, or if the Member moved.

Ultimately, a COST/BENEFIT analysis - even if superficial and non-scientific - would most probably fail to justify hosting expenses.

One "dream feature" I have often fantasized about would be what I describe as a MAYDAY FUNCTION. Much like a 911 call, or an SOS signal, a distressed Member could post a short MAYDAY message to the MEMBER MAP (or a companion WIDGET) and the system would automatically PM, EMail, AND Text to the geographically nearest 100 MEMBERS (or more as determined in practicality) regardless of distance from the MAYDAY. This "broadcast by the numbers" would inherently adjust the range of MAYDAY's broadcast for that locale's Member density factor.... Where there are lots of Members, the radius would be tighter and conversely, where Members are few and far between the broadcast radius would be larger to accumulate the set number of recipients. I would actually prefer a greater number of recipients be used, but I also realize that dang cost/benefit thing has to be considered too.
Just as with the 911 System, I would recommend STIFF PENALTIES for FALSE ALARMS. A true DISTRESS SITUATION might be roadside emergencies, vehicle collisions, and the incapacitation of a Member (secondary to an actual 911 Call) so that other Members could secure an "abandoned" MV. Considering the family ties of our Membership, I would even endorse allowing non-MV (or POV) distress calls to use the MAYDAY System.

Another useful function would be "Route Planning". By this I envision being able to map your anticipated route and from that the Member Map data base could generate a contact list of those Members (with their capabilities??) who are reasonably along your travel path. Secondarily, it could be used to notify those along your route (similarly by PM, EMail, and Text) of your trip specifics such as itinerary, type of vehicle, and "souls on board".

But alas!
These ideas just won't fly without FUNDING. Though we can still dream, can't we???

Last edited:

rtadams89

Ultimately, a COST/BENEFIT analysis - even if superficial and non-scientific - would most probably fail to justify hosting expenses.

...but I also realize that dang cost/benefit thing has to be considered too...
Not signing up to build it (yet!), but I don't see how it can cost THAT much. I run several personal web sites and have done PHP, Ruby, .NET programing in the past. I know my web hosting cost with a database, domain name, and unlimited storage/bandwidth is <$60/year.

rtadams89

Not signing up to build it (yet!)
Got bored, made a quick proof of concept:
http://ryantadams.com/sos-test/index.php (username and password are both "steelsoldiers").

Note, this is just a POC, so please don't add any real data. There is no input validation (hence why the page is password protected), please be nice. I've filled it out with some fake "members" which you can see on the View Members page. You can add more members through the Add Member page. The SEND SOS page implements the functionality you were talking about. It does NOT actually send emails, just displays what it could send on screen. Right now it is hard coded to find members in approximately 75 miles from you. This is all just math on the backend, so it would be easy to implement a sliding range based on density, cap to the nearest X members, etc.

Last edited:

BajaRat

Who needs a map? :grin: Use latitude/longitude. If you don't know your lat/long, there a bunch of sites to convert an address to lat/long.

What a great idea rt. With your skill set this seems doable without Google.
Does a private phone directory already exist ?
The experiment you coded above is now a 404 not found,
Late for the party Is my middle name.
Thanks and I would list my info to members up here in the wilds of NE Arizona, Lionel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks