• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Urgent Restoration II The M715

m38inmaine

Now that the Gama Goat is "finished" it's time to start on another project, the M715. My first purchase was a M715 mud truck project fail, I purchased the body only, the PO sold the chassis off to a friend. The bed was rotten but it had the all important tailgate which was worth more than I paid for the whole lot. Next I found a M725 ambulance, a ways away in NH but the price was right so I dragged it home, my plan being use the chassis for the M715 body. The M725 body floor was rotten pretty bad so I pulled it off and it along with a lot of other military scrap went to the yard, $900 back in the kitty. A couple weeks later a pair of M715's from an estate became available not too far away and I brought those home. Now I really had something to work with, the red truck is pretty much rust free, the only rust I could find was on the driver's side back corner of the cab. The red truck is missing the engine/transmission, the gray truck is complete but the cab is rotten and the engine is locked tight.

The plan is to restore the red truck back to original, the gray truck will get the cab from the mud truck and get a V8 conversion, this will be my son's project. The engine in the M725 purrs like a kitten and will get transplanted in the red truck. So far we have cleaned out both trucks and removed any civilian parts and modifications. All the trucks are still 24v and pretty much stock which helps. Still need to find another good 230 Tornado engine and have posted a wanted ad here. Look forward to the build and hearing from other M715 owners.

Attachments

TJinSD

That looks like a lot of fun. I only have one M715 that's keeping me plenty busy just making sure it's safe to go down the highway with!
Updates when you can, if you can.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

Not as much picture taking and reporting as the Gama Goat, will try and get more posted. I sold my M1010 which I was not using much any more and used some of the funds for the 715 project. I badly needed a new air compressor so that was first on the list. Being off the grid and needing a lot of air for sandblasting I bought a truck bed air compressor, will crank out 18cfm @ 90psi. It easily keeps up with the cabinet blaster and 100lb blast pot. Also put in a 40' shipping container and using it for storage and an "extended" shop for the 715 build.

I have most of all the small parts blasted and in some sort of paint hanging up in the container. I sent the fuel/air pump off to be rebuilt and have that back, they did an excellent job. I have 3 of the seats re covered, the frames are prepped and waiting for the paint to show up. Stripped the truck of most of the take off parts in prep for sanding and paint. Pulled the bed of so I can start blasting the frame, also repairing a hole where a water tank was, nice having a parts bed to salvage the metal from. More to report later, back to welding.

Attachments

Jericho

HUMMMMM , my favorite JEEP, looks good, BUT do you really want another tornado engine or would you consider an upgrade to say An AMC 360 V8 with aluminum intake manifold headers and a holly 600 cfm carb on the second truck , with a quadratrac xfer and auto trans ! the tornado just winds a little fast with the OEM trans just food for thought , has 30 thousand miles on it runs good !

kvflyer

HUMMMMM , my favorite JEEP, looks good, BUT do you really want another tornado engine or would you consider an upgrade to say An AMC 360 V8 with aluminum intake manifold headers and a holly 600 cfm carb on the second truck , with a quadratrac xfer and auto trans ! the tornado just winds a little fast with the OEM trans just food for thought , has 30 thousand miles on it runs good !
HERESY! I love the 230 Tornado. However, I drove one for two years when I was in the army so I guess I a little biased, 'ya think?

m38inmaine

Going to keep the 230, it's going to be all stock, it doesn't go very far any way. Cleaned, blasted and primed the fuel tank today. Also painted a few more hanging parts, ran out of paint waiting for more to arrive.

Attachments

Kaiser67M715

Dang, at the pace your going you bringing it to Weare?!

Excellent progress so far, keep the updates coming!

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

Paint arrived today from G503.com, this is the best spray can's I have ever used hands down, no clogging and a great spray pattern. Put a second coat on the hanging parts, then on to bed repair. I finished welding in the panel in the center of the bed, then started on the fender wells. The FD had cut, folded and welded the top portion to clear a water tank. I cut a repair section from the parts bed and spent several hours grinding and fitting it, tack welded in and that was enough for today.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Over the past two days I managed to replace the LH wheel well which finished up the repair work on the bed. Moved on to the repair panel for the rear LH portion of the cab, alot of time spent fitting this. I still need to drill a 2 1/2" hole for the battery cables and replace the cab mount channel on top.

Attachments

m38inmaine

So the latest saga of the M715 was sourcing a flex fuel line that goes from the frame over to the engine. No local place could make one, big surprise, or was willing to look into it. So after a search on line I found these push-lok fittings and hose. I needed two female 5/16 inverted flare fittings with an OAL of 6". You simply push the fitting in the hose until it mates up against the yellow flange, although it is very tough getting it seated, a little grease helps. Once seated the fitting is impossible to remove without cutting the hose. I now have the truck in the garage and am finishing a few small body panel repairs, will post some more pictures soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

CMPPhil

Hi

Did you use the crimp bands? When Ive used these fittings aways used either the crimp bands or fuel injection hose clamps to be sure of the seal, but then again I was using them on oil lines that run at much higher preasure than a fuel line.

Good tech tip to remind people of ways to make up those hard to find fuel/oil lines.

Cheers Phil

Jericho

Well M 38 in maine, its been a cold and snowy winter here , I see you have had a lot of coastal rain. I have accomplished NOTHING on any of mine , I know your more motivated, Any updates. See you in Weare in 5 months, Andy

m38inmaine

It's actually snowing right now, truck has been inside all winter and I have not done too much. All the small parts are blasted-primed-painted, working on the engine now, had to to replace the freeze plugs under the intake, two had holes rusted through them. A couple of bolts are broke off on the exhaust manifold that need replacing. It has good compression and the inside is clean so I am hoping it will be a good runner, if not I have another one to try. It's about ready to sand and paint, the bed repairs are all done. Once I get motivated again it won't take too long.

Jericho

your a constant! glad to here some one is getting something done We got 4 inches of sugar snow from the storm your getting now High Winds, rain behind it . Just realized your off grid as well WHat are your running for your electrical needs

dmetalmiki

I do so like completing 'Jigsaws'!.
Tuesday I am going to a yard that has An M715 in a state of complete disassembly.
I plan to obtain all the scattered parts and put "Humpty Dumpty" 'Back together again'.
Stop yelling!, I WILL take pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks