• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803/831 Generator Control & Parameter Monitor by WIFI Demo

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few customers have requested the following feature and it is easily accomplished by purchasing a low cost WiFi switch relay.

Remote Start/Stop from anywhere via the internet
If you wish to remotely start and stop the generator using my controller from anywhere via the internet
you can purchase a Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 Advanced Smart Switch or a similar product. They are available on Amazon and eBay.
Any WiFi remote switch system that can connect to the internet via your homes router and has non-powered relay contacts.
Simply configure the Sonoff and connect one of it's relay channels to my controllers 2-wire interface.
Done.

If using this method you will only be able to Start & Stop the generator via the internet. You will NOT be able to view the
real time parameters over the internet. That can only be done via WiFi when you are within ~300 feet of the generator.

mlaxton

Since my venture into developing the replacement MEP831A Governor Controllers was a success I thought I'd revisit MEP remote start/stop with parameter monitoring.
About 2 years ago I developed a similar capability. However the control components were a closed design, didn't use WIFI and was not readily producible.

So.. Here is the 2018 version of a similar capability except all control is via WIFI. In this demo I'm using an old cell phone with just a browser. No "app".

Prototype starting a MEP-802A via WIFI. Controls all phases of startup such as PreHeat, Priming, Starting, Running, Closing the Contactor.
Sequencing and parameter reporting are accomplished with a small WIFI microcontroller that hosts the web pages and acts as a WIFI access point.
Live data streaming of generator and engine operating parameters.
- AC Voltage
- AC Frequency
- % Load
- Coolant Temp
- Fuel Level
- Oil Pressure
- Battery Voltage
- Air Temperature (Not functional yet. Awaiting sensor delivery)
Includes remote shutdown functionality also. Opening the contactor, Cooling down and Shutdown of the genset.

Genset can also be started and stopped manually.
Wiring from the controller connects to the meters and switch's in the control cube. Only 1 generator wire needs to be cut and spliced into. All other connections "piggyback" onto existing terminals of the meters and switch's.

WIFI connection is direct from the cell phone to generator. No router used. Password protected connection for security. 200'+ range.
Generator can be controlled by any device with WIFI and a web browser such as a Laptop, Cell Phone, Tablet, etc. No "app" needed.

Will be continuing to test and improve over the coming weeks and possibly months.
If there is enough interest I may persue producing the controllers once the design is solid and proven.
For now I'm be targeting MEP-802A, MEP-803A & MEP-831A since I have an 802 and 831's to integrate with.
The MEP-831A will have less parameter monitoring due to it's lack of engine Temp & Oil pressure sensors.

Thoughts?
Question, I am interested in this product strictly for monitoring the health of the gen set from inside the house. Is it live data or does it update every couple mins? Also does this alter the way the gen set works manually at all?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can it be integrated into a network of must it run WIFI stand alone? Can it be run from a PC or only from a smartphone app?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was designed to run standalone so that it would work in a worse case scenario, no utility power, no internet, no router, off grid cabin, etc.
Wasn't set up to integrate onto a network.

It will work over WiFi with any device with WiFi and a browser withing WiFi range. (Smart Phone, tablet, laptop, etc)

It does not use an "app" on a smartphone. Just the browser. The webserver on the controller does all the work.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can it be integrated into a network of must it run WIFI stand alone? Can it be run from a PC or only from a smartphone app?
If you absolutely have to access it via another network you can setup a RaspberryPi using the graphical version of RPi OS. You'd use the RPi's WIFI to connect to the generator controller and its LAN connector to connect to your main network. You would use a remote desktop app to view the desktop on the RPi from other devices. Not elegant but functional.

There are significant network security issues with this approach that you will need to watch for. For one you shouldn't allow RDC connections to the internet.

I'm not recommending doing this but this is one method you could use to get it done.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few internet connectivity enhancements have been made to the Remote Start kits that I offer.
Here are the current connectivity options...
1) The original version (AKA Version 1) provids a direct WiFI link between your smart phone and the controller - no router or internet required.
Great for off grid setups with no internet
2) The controller can be also be configured (before shipment) to connect via WiFi to your homes WiFi router thus making access available to all devices with web browsers on your homes WiFi network. AKA Version 2
3) With a simple process of "port forwarding" you can make the Version 2 controller accessible from anywhere on the internet. Requires a couple of setting changes in your router to enable it to make the controller accessible from anywhere via the internet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks