• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803/831 Generator Control & Parameter Monitor by WIFI Demo

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since my venture into developing the replacement MEP831A Governor Controllers was a success I thought I'd revisit MEP remote start/stop with parameter monitoring.
About 2 years ago I developed a similar capability. However the control components were a closed design, didn't use WIFI and was not readily producible.

So.. Here is the 2018 version of a similar capability except all control is via WIFI. In this demo I'm using an old cell phone with just a browser. No "app".

Prototype starting a MEP-802A via WIFI. Controls all phases of startup such as PreHeat, Priming, Starting, Running, Closing the Contactor.
Sequencing and parameter reporting are accomplished with a small WIFI microcontroller that hosts the web pages and acts as a WIFI access point.
Live data streaming of generator and engine operating parameters.
- AC Voltage
- AC Frequency
- % Load
- Coolant Temp
- Fuel Level
- Oil Pressure
- Battery Voltage
- Air Temperature (Not functional yet. Awaiting sensor delivery)
Includes remote shutdown functionality also. Opening the contactor, Cooling down and Shutdown of the genset.

Genset can also be started and stopped manually.
Wiring from the controller connects to the meters and switch's in the control cube. Only 1 generator wire needs to be cut and spliced into. All other connections "piggyback" onto existing terminals of the meters and switch's.

WIFI connection is direct from the cell phone to generator. No router used. Password protected connection for security. 200'+ range.
Generator can be controlled by any device with WIFI and a web browser such as a Laptop, Cell Phone, Tablet, etc. No "app" needed.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/s3r3_PmTPQc

Will be continuing to test and improve over the coming weeks and possibly months.
If there is enough interest I may persue producing the controllers once the design is solid and proven.
For now I'm be targeting MEP-802A, MEP-803A & MEP-831A since I have an 802 and 831's to integrate with.
The MEP-831A will have less parameter monitoring due to it's lack of engine Temp & Oil pressure sensors.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

gatorbob

Thanks for sharing this. Looks great. Putting aside the wifi part for a moment, is the start controller and component that gathers the generator metrics something off the shelf?

I've always wondered about connecting something like the DynaGen TG410 and then finding a RS-485 to IP solution. This looks similar to that but perhaps you built the whole thing from the ground up.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gator,

I built the whole thing from the ground up. No off the shelf assemblies, just individual components.
It's not pretty since it's a first pass at a prototype to prove out the concept. Hence no pictures of it.
Designed the sensors to gather all the parametric data and interfaced them to the micro controller.
The brain of the setup is a postage stamp sized micro controller WIFI web server part.
The whole thing (minus the relays) is about 2" x 3"

Last edited:

BobbyT

Awesome! I think once you get it dialed in and can offer it at a good price, you should have lots of interest in it. Especially if it’s anything like your 831 controllers. Great work.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a great add on for some folks. I like things as simple as humanly possible, so its not for me... but I can definitely see the appeal!

m32825

Might a WIFI parameter monitoring only capability be more desired? (No remote start/stop)
Yes! If you format your data values to look like OBD2 messages you can send them to apps like Torque Pro, that provide tons of display options, logging, and data export.

Nice piece of embedded development!

:beer:

-- Carl

smokem joe

So is this WIFI only, or will it use a cell data signal as well. Reason I am asking is if the power is out and your router is not on a battery backup you will not have WIFI to be able to remote start. I like the idea a lot btw.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reason I am asking is if the power is out and your router is not on a battery backup you will not have WIFI to be able to remote start.
Actually it will still work. :)

I specifically designed it to work in a power outage situation when ones wireless router has no power and internet are DOWN.

It's design to be controlled by any device that has WIFI capability and browser capability.
Communication from the WIFI device (such as a laptop or cell phone) is done directly from the device to the generator controller.
No router needed. No internet needed. No cell service. Nothing.

If you had just the generator with this controller and a laptop or cell phone on a raft in the middle of the Pacific it would still work.

Normally our laptops, tablets and cell phones using WIFI first connect to our home router and the router in turn connects our laptops, tablets, etc to all our home WIFI enabled devices. The home router also provides the connection between your home WIFI enabled devices and the internet for you. The home router is the hub of the "normal" WIFI communications we are familiar with.

This design uses a WIFI communications method that is different from what we are all use to "normally" using and are familiar with. The WIFI connection is direct and does not go thru a router.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So is the wifi board on the generator powered by the genset's batteries or does it have it's own power source?
Currently planning on using the genset batteries. Right now the controller draws 20 mA at standby. About as much as a LED so the impact on the genset batteries is very low. Assuming small group 51 batteries in an 802 it would run in standby for about 2 months before the batteries would need to be recharged.
My thought is to only power it when the dead crank switch is in the Normal position. Power to it would be cut if the dead crank is in the OFF position.
As the design evolves I plan on looking into various power saving features to reduce it's standby power consumption.

Update: A quick look indicates the power could be reduced to about 10 uA with some simple code changes. :-D
1/2,000 nths of 20 mA.

Last edited:

devilphrog

kloppk, have you thought about crowdsourcing the development of this project using something like Kickstarter, to assist with development and production costs once your prototypes are completed?

Demoh

Actually it will still work. :)

I specifically designed it to work in a power outage situation when ones wireless router has no power and internet are DOWN.

It's design to be controlled by any device that has WIFI capability and browser capability.
Communication from the WIFI device (such as a laptop or cell phone) is done directly from the device to the generator controller.
No router needed. No internet needed. No cell service. Nothing.

If you had just the generator with this controller and a laptop or cell phone on a raft in the middle of the Pacific it would still work.

Normally our laptops, tablets and cell phones using WIFI first connect to our home router and the router in turn connects our laptops, tablets, etc to all our home WIFI enabled devices. The home router also provides the connection between your home WIFI enabled devices and the internet for you. The home router is the hub of the "normal" WIFI communications we are familiar with.

This design uses a WIFI communications method that is different from what we are all use to "normally" using and are familiar with. The WIFI connection is direct and does not go thru a router.
This is all a very valid way of thinking, power goes out, router / home AP goes down, no access to device because the 'hub' is gone. I think this is how 90% of people would use it.

Now being an IT pro I am a bit of a power user. One of my pet peeves is devices like this that ONLY operate in access point mode and dont have a provision for a client mode. Case and Point: LG multizone air conditioners have a module that can be added (SIMS tool) that have an app you can download to view diagnostics on the air conditioner, but it is access point only mode. I have had situations where I have been stuck with needing a dedicated device to monitor the AC because it hasnt been on the main network. I ended up using a nanostation configured as a client bridge to connect said device to the network and being forced to add a 2nd ip to a computer that is on the same subnet as the SIMS tool to access it, but still has the main network's ip so it can access the internet. An absolute bear to deal with and with mobile devices forget it.

Me being the 10%, I would want the ability for a device like this to have a client mode with DHCP with failback to AP mode. Any site where I would want this feature at would already be fully battery backup sites where 100% uptime is needed.

Hypothetically I can see it working like this: Unit unboxed and hooked up, its in AP mode. Connect to unit with laptop in 4.1 ip, go to configuration page, enter in client settings, static ip / dhcp, etc.... Unit connects to wifi and is now on for example 254.x network. Wifi goes down and it fails back to being an AP with it's factory 4.1 and polls to see if it's network is back up. Or something like that to remain redundancy because a generator is a "it has to work" piece of equipment.

Or if the AP / client transition is too much of a bear, being an AP with the ability to change the default IP address/network and disable DHCP would be amazing to have. Just throw an ARP keep alive up there so I can use wireshark to sniff the IP if it is misconfigured/on the wrong network/i forgot the ip. That way I can do the same thing I do with air conditioners / other devices that are AP mode only and just add a client bridge (like a nanostation pointed at my generator) and not have to jump through too many hoops to have everything on 1 network.
example: network is 10.1.1.x, default of device is 192.168.4.1. Configure primary generator to 10.1.1.41 and disable dhcp server, point nanostation at it and join it. Now computer at 10.1.1.100 can maintain its 10.1.1.1 gateway and still access the generator management device. Now configure secondary generator for 10.1.1.42, 2 on the same network with.

----------------------------
Furthermore, having a no/nc input for transfer switch control to turn this unit into an autostart with cooldown timers (ATS opens generator power requested contact. your unit waits X time and opens main contactor. your unit is now in cooldown mode for Y minutes then shuts down unless ATS closes contacts again)

If it had this capability It would allow me to not run an autostart for the MEPs AND a monitoring device, but being all in one would be pretty badass and I would use them as a value added items generators I sell.

As for me, if I could integrate this into my network (even if it is the latter idea of an AP with changeable IP) Id be down for 4 units if priced right, 2 for me, my primary and secondary gens, and 2 for my friend who has a primary and secondary.

Just my 2cents though: these features will allow you more footing in the commercial market where these features are almost a requirement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks