• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803/831 Generator Control & Parameter Monitor by WIFI Demo

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Demoh,

Thank you for the insightful input regarding the potential option to provide both options to access the controller via WIFI.
Will add it to the list of enhancements to be considered for it.
Interconnection to an ATS would be a fairly easy feature to include.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
kloppk, have you thought about crowdsourcing the development of this project using something like Kickstarter, to assist with development and production costs once your prototypes are completed?
At this point no additional funding is required to proceed with this. I have all the needed funding, equipment and resources for development, integration and production.
Just need to slog thru the tweeking and checkout before turning it into another viable product.

Demoh

Demoh,

Thank you for the insightful input regarding the potential option to provide both options to access the controller via WIFI.
Will add it to the list of enhancements to be considered for it.
Interconnection to an ATS would be a fairly easy feature to include.
Sounds great. Ill be looking forward to a finished product. Ill talk with a few people Ive sold gens to and my partner and if we come up with more ideas Ill post them.

NATCAD

At this point no additional funding is required to proceed with this. I have all the needed funding, equipment and resources for development, integration and production.
Just need to slog thru the tweeking and checkout before turning it into another viable product.

Count me in for some!
Would also like a replacement battery charger for the 24v battery (maybe also a bench capable module with 110v input )

Regarding the remove monitor and auto start - I would like to see how this could be triggered by a low voltage signal to start and charge the battery of a normally solar powered off grid set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks awesome. If you need any beta testers let me know or if you bring it to market...
I may take you up on that kind offer..
Just received the first shipment of PCB's today for the first spin.
Assembled first unit today and plan on some testing next week in my 802.

Attachments

Last edited:

Demoh

Looks great.

I assume that is the final revision PCB so any tweaks would be software? Cant wait to test one out myself, do you have a price range or is development too early to come up with that?

Ill be patient instead of bombard with more questions that would be answered in time. :jumpin:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume that is the final revision PCB so any tweaks would be software?
There may be a respin of the PCB should I find any issues during testing. Hopefully not, but no big deal if I have to.
Software tweets are a given :)

… do you have a price range or is development too early to come up with that?
Haven't nailed it down yet. Need to determine the average assembly time, testing, and calibration time first.
Testing will be more work since it will entail testing with the wire harness (not shown in the pic) that plugs into the board and is wired to the control cube.

Last edited:

USAMilRet

I am also interested pending price. Any type of audible alarm through the control unit? Will my phone alarm if the parameters are not in specifications on the genset?

Also willing to test on my 803a.

Maxlmt

I know this is a little off topic. Can anyone help me with the correct battery for the 803 genset?
‘Also I’m interested in this device as well. Thanks in advance!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OEM spec is Optima Red Top 34/78... but with that said, I typically use Group 51R in both my 802s and 803s. They are a smaller footprint, but have the same cranking power (so they are easier to get in and out). Plus they are a little bit less expensive.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PCB and firmware updated to support 2 wire remote start command from battery charge controller or other device commanding the genset to start (like other AutoStart option available).
Basic relay or switch closure to tell genset to start and produce power. Open relay or switch contact to tell genset to shut down.
A work in progress! :) Very close to Beta testing. Will be in touch with a few S.S. members for beta testing.

NATCAD

PCB and firmware updated to support 2 wire remote start command from battery charge controller or other device commanding the genset to start (like other AutoStart option available).
Basic relay or switch closure to tell genset to start and produce power. Open relay or switch contact to tell genset to shut down.
A work in progress! :) Very close to Beta testing. Will be in touch with a few S.S. members for beta testing.
I’d be interested in helping test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csheath

I am also interested. After starting mine in the rain this morning a remote start would be a welcome addition.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update... Yes I've been busy working this effort over the past few weeks.

Testing and improvements almost complete on the Beta Test version. New PCB being fab'd for Beta Test version and in fab as I write this.
Will be reaching out to some of you who you were kind enough to volunteer to be Beta testers. Many thanks for all who volunteered!
Can't ship them to all who volunteered. You'll be contacted directly if you've been selected.
Currently the price point is looking to be about ~ $330 per unit including the WIFI start feature, parameter monitoring feature, 2 wire remote start feature, shipping, Conrol Transfer capability, 2 wire remote start, and cool down timer for the finalized product.

Some features will be able to be customized based on target application when mature product is ordered such as warm up time, contactor closure time and cool down time.
This price is vs the "other" 2 wire remote start for $470 with much much fewer features.

A peek at the systems capabilities....
Features include:
· Remote genset Start/Stop via WIFI (such as a cell phone or Laptop)
· 300 foot plus wireless communication range
· Password protected communications
· Visual display of all engine and generator operating parameters on remote WIFI device:
o Ambient Temperature
o Battery Voltage
o AC Voltage
o AC Output Frequency
o %Load
o Fuel Level
o Coolant Temperature
o Oil Pressure
· Remotely Enable and Disable the Auxiliary Fuel Pump
· Two wire remote start/stop via contact closure
· View genset operating parameters if manually started.
· View genset operating parameters if started via 2 Wire Remote Start.
· Transfer from WIFI control to Manual control
· Transfer from Manual control to WIF control
· Automatic 30 second PreHeat below 40 degrees F
· Generator and Engine Operating Parameters that are nearing extremes are automatically highlighted in RED text on remote WIFI device to indicate a possible issue.
· Low Battery Voltage
· Output Frequency out of range
· %Load nearing maximum
· Low Fuel
· High Coolant Temperature
· Low Oil Pressure

Additional features
· 2 wire start warm up period and 5 minute cool down timer.
· Antenna and connector are IP65 rated for water resistance.
· Retains full manual control of the genset.
· 2 wire remote Start & Stop of the genset.
· Automatic shutdown due to low oil pressure or engine stall.
· Alerts if 2 wire remote start fails and corrective actions.
· Aborts WIFI remote start if genset fails to start.
· Conformally coated to seal out moisture.
· Firmware upgradable should new features or enhancements become available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks