• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOT Thigh Gap :P (Door Gap)

coachgeo

Per Scottmandu" point, door handles tend to break easier of one has misaligned doors etc. causing extra force to open/close doors.... thus after installing new/used driver side door handle...we adjusted the driver door's fit. Its fit was off before we started. Off enough the door's corner edge had gouged a small groove into the fender as it opened and closed. We got it to open/close smoothly and sit closed nice and sweet with an even gap all the way around now.

OK then we went to the passenger side (good handle) and it opens smooth, no odd contact with other components buttttt ... starting at the front bottom corner (front of cab/door closed) and going up, over the top of door and all is good even gap. Then follow door down the trailing edge and .... what the fu....k .... lol There is a growing gap ending at about 1" wide at the bottom trailing edge of passenger door..... (see video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_9RG8e6sQ

Pretty confident that no adjusting is going to fix a gap where two of three sides are even gapped. (front edge of door and top of edge door are spot on aligned with cab) Looks like a body tweak or maybe a manufacture Fubar of cab or door is causing gap when door is shut???

So thought is to add a trim piece on trailing door edge from top to bottom...
(1). too cover gap for weather, dust, etc.... when door closed
(2). too hide it a little. looking at one sold by TrimLock (type 8B pictured below). Install it straight up the doors trailing edge on each door; even though driver side does not need it. Would be off to not put on both sides.

Open to suggestions

Attachments

Last edited:

Camel Driver

That's a neat style of trim you found there! I'm sure it will help keeping some of the dust out and, if you drive in cold weather it probably will help keep in cab temps up. I have quite a bit to do before I mess with door alignment/broken handles but, I will keep this item in mind.

coachgeo

Further inquiry and I see that what I am proposing is actually NOT the intended design of the material. I get feeling it will be too flimsy and tear up. It is spongy like trim between a door and cab. It is intended be installed flap inboard of door not outboard exposed to tree limbs etc. It is meant to be when door closed sitting with flap inside with the flap bent into a curve as the door shuts. Curve is what ends up blocking air / rain / duts path.

buttt.... if coated the flap portion with bed liner material it might provide protection to the flap?? and not let it get torn up off road?

scottmandu

When adjusting doors I've had to bend the door into shape, and one one truck had to pull the door drame of the cab back (it was physically damaged). It took me about 20 hours on that truck to get the doors perfect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks