• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bleeding brakes

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my truck w/absolutely no brakes whatsoever. Upon inspection i found the master cylinder dry & vent line broke off. I found no leaks so i filled the MC & every time i press the pedal fluid squirts out where the vent line is supposed to be. The inside of the MC looked crusty like it may have gotten water/dirt in it so i replaced it. This seemed like a good time to add the remote reservoir kit so i did. The new MC bench bled easily. I bolted it to the truck & bled it at the air pack. Now i have SOME brakes, it will stop if you pump it a time or two but its not right. Do you need to have the air tanks full when you bleed this type of system? Also the TM says pump & hold then open the bleeder valve but I've always opened the valve, pushed the pedal to the floor, closed the valve & released the pedal. What yall think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself I got to ace hardware and get there one gallon sprayer. If you remove just the tip of the wand it leaves the plastic threads.
Remove the fitting on top of the master cylinder cap and screw on the wand. With just the cap and wand attached replace the cap onto the master. Then with gallon jug with your brake fluid in it screw on the wand to the hand unit. Lock the hand unit so it is open and pump up the sprayer then bleed your system.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about building the power bleeder but i have several willing volunteers to push the pedal so i nixed that idea. I really hope bleeding the brakes on this thing doesn't become a regular event

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would never manually bleed a deuce again. Build a bleeder and be done in 20 minutes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing here but I'd say I have bled deuce brakes maybe 50 times. Not all my trucks but all with my bleeder. Unless I'm pressed for time or on the road, I'll bleed them and let it sit overnight and bleed it again. There are some spots that just need to pushes to get air out. As far as the power bleeder,. It wouldn't matter to me if there were a hundred qualified Soldiers B, I'm using my bleeder.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I can bleed the brakes on the 819 in UNDER a hour with my power bleeder , this is from walking to the truck to walking away , this includes getting stuff out/putting away, the bleeding, cleaning up, setting up/rigging down, stopping for a rest, a drink, BSing if somebody comes by, ect., ect., ect.. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO, faster, easier, and SAFER.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I guess i gota build a power bleeder then. Wish I would've done that before I installed the remote reservoir.

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have an air compressor with an adjustable regulator on it you can use it for pressure bleeding. I got this idea from Donnerwetter and it saved me from buying a sprayer I didn’t need.

I just used 1/8 pipe nipple going to a 1/4 ball valve and then quick connect air fitting. Ran about 15psi for the bleeding. The only disadvantages are you have to be by your air source and you have to remove it to add fluid. You can possibly bleed you master cylinder dry if you don’t pay attention.

Worked for me.

BEASTMASTER

I'm pretty sure there are 2 bleeders on the air pack. its been a while since I 've done mine , but I built one of those bleeders the guys are talking about, and it does work great. good luck.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to crawl back under & look it over real good. I only saw one but I wasn't looking for a 2nd one so who knows.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im thinking of putting a brass ball valve in the rubber hose for the remote reservoir. That way I don't have to make a mess & loose fluid every time I unhook it to use the power bleeder.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Im thinking of putting a brass ball valve in the rubber hose for the remote reservoir. That way I don't have to make a mess & loose fluid every time I unhook it to use the power bleeder.
BFR, a member that has not been on site for a while HARD lined his remote to deal with this issue, he had a open/close valve just under the remote and a quick disconnect coupling below that, this setup worked great when pressure bleeding, a flex brake line could be used instead of a hard line for ease of build of the remote.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks