• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 tractor protection valve. A little help from someone who has had theirs apart?

Camel Driver

So, the TPV has failed on our M1083. Not a big deal. With all the good info here I was able to get the kit and remove the valve. My problem is, I have not been able to find an exploded view of the valve ANYWHERE! A member here posted some pics of his but they just don't show what I happen to need. :lol:

A couple questions.......

1. The big rubber seal with the point and step. Does the point go up or down? Hahaha, I will admit to having a brain fart and just can't remember. I guess I AM getting old! I used to be able to remember this stuff for years. Now, it's ten minutes and I need a picture! Lesson learned......unless I forget that too!

2. In the kit is a soft faom cylinder shaped thing. I have a feeling the original, if it had one, has long since disintigrated and left the premisses. Anyone have an idea of where it goes?

3. Kit also comes with a small star shaped washer. It looks like some sort of press in retainer. Not one of those left in our valve either.

I understand that some rebuild kits are made for a bunch of different applications and these parts just might not be used but, I've never had one of these apart so I just don't know.

If you have had yours apart and can remember, I would really appreciate the help! Otherwise, I guess I'm stuck with trial and error.

I would post a pic of the valve taken apart but, I just bought a new phone and, I'm having some problems getting it to hook up to my computer for some reason. LOL, the FUN never ends around here! Probably something else my failing brain is forgetting! :cookoo:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you step on the brake and air leaks out the tpv vent hole, then it’s just a cracked diaphragm. You don’t have to rebuild the entire thing. Mark lines and take pics before you take if off. The diaphragms are each under a top piece with 4 torx screws holding it on.

Camel Driver

Definitely had to rebuild the whole thing. The plunger inside the main (metal) housing was stuck and would not let air go to the rear glad hand.. And I wouldn't recommend just fixing the one diaphragm. If that plunger sticks and your trailer has a large leak, it probably wont do any "protecting" and you will lose all your air.

agazza2

There are many extra parts in this kit for other valves. I rebuilt mine with this same kit, but it has been awhile, and I don't remember if the seal with the point and step goes up or down. I thought I still had the box with the seals I changed, but must have already thrown it away. I think there were only 2-3 Q-rings/seals that are required to rebuild the TPV.

Camel Driver

TP valves are cheap enough I just replace them.
The kit was $21 and the cheapest valve was well over $100. Plus, with the money I saved I was able to pick up enough nylon brake line and brass parts to replace all the lines going to the valve. Some of them are feeling a bit stiff and fragile. Figured I would keep them from giving me future trouble!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks