• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did I throw a belt?

NVFireFighter

Okay, well I've got about 515 miles down but I think I threw the air compressor belt! I was almost at the end of my day and it sounded and felt like a belt went.....all the gauges looked good....kept an eye on them....but when I stopped for the night and got food I noticed the air assist steering wasn't working and the gauge was almost down to less than 50 lbs. So I'm assuming since I'm going to wait until its light that it's a belt. Is it a separate only air compressor belt? Can I drive it without air to get to a parts store? I'm in desoto Iowa off the 80.....

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No air means no brake assist, so you will have next to no brakes .

Air compressor belt number is
NAPA 25-9510
Oreilly 9510

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not drive it very far without air assist. You don't weight enough to stop it very well without air. How do I know you don't weigh enough? You fit in the cab.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This may be a DUMB question but due to title of this thread, I will ask it anyway, HAVE you raised the hood YET to access WHAT went wrong, OR you still THINK you know what it happened and going with the THINK as to the issue???

I guess you now know why MV owners are told to ALWAYS carry a spare set of BELTS as well as other things on the truck at all times.

Last edited:

NVFireFighter

This may be a DUMB question but due to title of this thread, I will ask it anyway, HAVE you raised the hood YET to access WHAT went wrong, OR you still THINK you know what it happened and going with the THINK as to the issue???

I guess you now know why MV owners are told to ALWAYS carry a spare set of BELTS as well as other things on the truck at all times.
Not dumb, no, I have not raised it yet. I'm hoping it's just a belt....

NVFireFighter

Yep, it's a belt. But I'm stuck in bumheck Iowa on a Sunday....

So I'm looking at the motor and it seems the alternator is the Pivot point for all the belts? The compresser is kind of wonky in alignment.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jasonjc

Yep, it's a belt. But I'm stuck in bumheck Iowa on a Sunday....

So I'm looking at the motor and it seems the alternator is the Pivot point for all the belts? The compresser is kind of wonky in alignment.

NO!
The compressor has a split pulley you adjust it to tighten the belt. You need to loosen the 2 bolts on the the pulley then you can turn the two halve of the compressor pulley in or out to adjust it. It will take two pipe wrenches or big channel lock or big adjustable wrenches to do this.

NVFireFighter

Okay, got it loose and the belt on.... But how do I tighten the pulleys without pinching the belt in between the pulleys?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, got it loose and the belt on.... But how do I tighten the pulleys without pinching the belt in between the pulleys?

You don't. That is how it gets adjusted. Tighten a little, bump the engine, tighten some more, repeat.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find the right tools to get the outer half of the pully to unscrew off is the first task. You might get lucky and it is only some what tight then your ahead of the game. As said above first the two jam bolts to let the outer half of the pully be able to screw off just like any nut would. Then clean the threads real well with a wire brush. Myself I put a little something on the threads and wipe off any excess that might sling off. New belt then outer half of pully. Run the outer half up by hand till it pinches the belt pretty good. Start the engine and the belt will tighten its self. Shut down and check and if good then tighten the two jam bolts and you done. If its not tight enough start the motor again and goose the throttle a bit and check again then tighten the jam bolts. Very fast and easy way to tighten the belt and very safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks