• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2018 - June VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lust4GreenSteel

My vote goes to Mrmag1. Do I think his truck is the prettiest, rarest, most special, etc --- nope. But, I just had to vote for his truck to encourage two things that he is doing. (1) Actively serving now. (2) Having the truck restored now even though he isn't there to do it. Both admirable in my eyes. Good Job! Stay safe and enjoy the truck when you get home.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This wrecker became a labor of love. A true Vietnam Veteran tribute truck. Interior, including dash and dash tags are original. Everything else was restored to period correct. Vic 1, AR15 gun, gun ring, etc. The M543 was the pride of the motorpool. Thank you for your votes.
Had a chance to ride in the wrecker with Mike at the Petaluma gathering in April. The wrecker is complete, and Mike's attention to detail is obvious. She runs smooth, sounds good, and turns heads where ever she goes.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote goes to Mrmag1. Do I think his truck is the prettiest, rarest, most special, etc --- nope. But, I just had to vote for his truck to encourage two things that he is doing. (1) Actively serving now. (2) Having the truck restored now even though he isn't there to do it. Both admirable in my eyes. Good Job! Stay safe and enjoy the truck when you get home.
See now I feel bad, I didn’t throw in that I am AD to get votes. Now I feel like I should take it out, I don’t want to seem like I am using it to my advantage.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See now I feel bad, I didn’t throw in that I am AD to get votes. Now I feel like I should take it out, I don’t want to seem like I am using it to my advantage.
........ no reason to think about it, you never know why people vote for you. You can not control that at all.
......... ........ I have already seen people photographing children with their vehicles or dogs.........LOL

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I voted, and that's what matters.....friendly competition between MV owners for beer and bragging rights.....it's the fellowship I enjoy......sort of like belonging to a "good" unit again. (Back to the top! Come on, VOTE)

suzukovich

All right I play too. When The Truck was brought back to Florida it need work. Mechanically it was in good shape. But did need to replace items. Pittman Arm was shot, Seal in the steering box were the pitmam arm is connected was shot. Fuel injector pump leaked fuel, Rear diff was shot, Power steering pump also leaked at the seal were pump is mounted to the resovor. Transmission filter pan gasket shot, as was the filter., no headlights.

So while I was waiting for the paperwork to arrive, replaced the Pittman arm , Transmision pan gasket and filter, Installed mil LED headlights. Replaced all the other bulbs.. Purchased Bushgard and radio tray with Shock mount for SINGARS radio. At this point truck was drivable.

When I bought it the intention was to clone my truck When I was stationed at Fort Hood in the mid 90s. So one of the first things I did was install the plywood to reinforced the top which served to purposes. Allowed me to carry my camo nets on the roof and keeped the rainwater from pooling. I did the same thing in the rear where the cargo extension was at.

Next was the antennas. SINGARS antenna bases and mounts were easy to find. The hard one was the correct MSRT antenna base and whip. Finally found one and installed along with the tower mount. Painted the Bumper Numbers ( 2nd AR DIV, 124th MSB, B6) and was set for DMV inspection. Florida required the Humvee look like a Mil vehicle.

After I got my plates, replaced the diff, Injector pump, Power steering pump, Steering box rebuilt, TCM, Thermostatic switch, replaced the Thermostat with the correct one. Replaced the rear cargo extension with a NOS one. Yes very hard to find. I was lucky that the 4dr kit was new.

Finally found to track interior lights and installed them and traded out the 12 bolt for 24 bolt rims. Solargizer.

I also installed the latest in anti theft devices, Keyed ignition, Battery cut off, and old school lock and chain.

I am not done at this point but **** cost money. Still need to find the proper steel mounting plate for the rear fender and shock mount for the MSRT. Then a DMVT with vehicle mount, power cut off switch, SINGARS and MSRT. Frankly both can be shells as I don't really need working units.

I did not repaint, just touch up as in the 90s at Hood it was common to see tan vehicles with green antennas and base units. Some even had green 4dr kits. Money was tight and was needed for important things like maintence. Tops, radial tires, repainted vehicles were nice to have.. So this is my clone of B6. Thank God I didn't have to do what some of the others did.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I voted for Tinwoodsman but it was a difficult choice for me. I love BigMike's Wrecker being a fellow recovery vehicle operator myself but I also love the little Jeeps. I can't afford either but if I had a pile of disposable income, I'd have a Jeep.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I voted for Tinwoodsman but it was a difficult choice for me. I love BigMike's Wrecker being a fellow recovery vehicle operator myself but I also love the little Jeeps. I can't afford either but if I had a pile of disposable income, I'd have a Jeep.
If I had a pile of disposable income I would own a tank and my FMV hobby would be way more involved. I would probably be divorced but I would have a lot of cool trucks and tanks lol.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all who participated and voted. BigMike and his wrecker is tough competition. Also thanks to Papabear who honcho's this thread every month.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks