• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Down to the frame she goes!

ehuppert

Per Ricks request... Some more pics below. This has been over a year and a half now! Problem with painting the frame is everything that follows must also be painted and or new!!! My wife has been understanding, kind of..... She recently said "Isn't this just a plow truck?"... I think she was being a little sarcastic though? I know if i just slap it together that's the way it will stay, so it's taking forever!!!

jegs 008.jpgjegs 002.jpgjegs 005.jpg

Best part is my grand daughter assisting! She always gets the same "ranch" out of the toolbox and bangs it around!!

cucvrus

I am so glad you put that M1008 cab and frame back in service. I bought that perfect running truck from the Pennsylvania DNR or DEP. They branded the certificate as "Scrap for Parts Reclamation Only". Well after all these years the parts have all been reclaimed and recycled. The small block engine looks great in the old plow truck. Be Safe. Thank you for sharing. Keep the pictures up to date with your progress.

dougco1

Per Ricks request... Some more pics below. This has been over a year and a half now! Problem with painting the frame is everything that follows must also be painted and or new!!! My wife has been understanding, kind of..... She recently said "Isn't this just a plow truck?"... I think she was being a little sarcastic though? I know if i just slap it together that's the way it will stay, so it's taking forever!!!

View attachment 782745View attachment 782746View attachment 782747

Best part is my grand daughter assisting! She always gets the same "ranch" out of the toolbox and bangs it around!!
I know that life gets in the way at times but has there been any progress on this project?

ehuppert

Lots of progress, but not done! Everything to include cab forward and below/mechanical is done. Body isn't show quality, was painted outside and or dead paneled..... Not so pretty, but it is solid! Used it to plow the driveway some this year but it's not on the road at present. Managed to get stuck on ice/off camber driveway edge, so fabricated a little weight for the rear!

Chances of finding a decent box locally is not even slim to none, it's zero! Whatever gets installed will be dissassembled, dustless blasted and epoxy primered and completely painted, in and out. Have a NOS tailgate, and NOS GM left bedside. This was a nut and bolt level restoration, not half stepping whatever sits on the rear frame rails!!!

Had been watching another post where I think lt67 was asking about flatbeds..... Would be easier and a new flatbed would be faster, easier and about the same amount of money. This is a work truck, not a historical recreation of a period correct CUCV. I drove them when they were new, the infatuation is long gone.... Matter of fact, I drove and helped field the HMMWV's , even less infatuated with them!!!!!!

I'll figure something out eventually!!!

Have a truck (05 SR5 tundra) that I inherited and use for light stuff, but it's "not" really a truck! It rides nice, has creature comforts, but not even comparable!

cucv4.jpgcucv2.jpgcucv1.jpgcucv3.jpg

Attachments

ehuppert

Yep, had seriously considered a 101A3 tub until I started looking at availability and prices! Once again, the military sold for pennies on the dollar until the jeep and overland people figured out they were great off road for campers. Again, this would get blasted and painted........ Purchase price and rehab, time starts to add up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks