• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Driving

M1123

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased an M1123 from GP. I am just finishing the titling process with NY state.

I have been reading all over about top speeds and cruising speeds of HMMWV's. I am curious as to what speed most of you guys are cruising on the freeway for extended periods of time? I have read everything from 40-60 MPH.

I want a general rule of thumb for a speed that can be run for a extended period of time without babying or over stressing the drivetrain.

papakb

After you've driven it for a while you'll find your truck has a "sweet spot" where it likes to cruise that can be anywhere between 50 and 60 MPH. My M996A1 like it around 57 but every truck is different. Keep in mind the government speed recommendation. It's there for a reason and remember that your knucklebusting can be lessened by taking it easy.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness!

If your truck is well maintained , safe, and it is capable, then set accordingly.

My experience is slightly different as my stock 6.2L, 3 speed runs great. I feel very comfortable with my baja tires at 35/40. I cruise the interstate at 65-69 with no problems. YMMV and I am not aware of what I did to earn this privilege :)

Sarcastically, I have only driven a few times in the big apple's highways but I have never been able to go over 40 as I was probably lost and on the highways at the wrong time and my Louisiana Plate stands out like a strobe light :recovry4x4:

all the best:tank:

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've run mine all the way up to 80 (electronic speedo), but its kind of scary. RWH is right 65 is the sweet spot.

Last edited:

Augi

Yeah with the 4-speed I run 70 for 400 or 500 miles in a stretch. I can put 1500 miles on it over a week long trip.

When I had the 3-speed in the fan would kick on every 5 minutes above 60 so I tried to keep it to 55. I never sprinted it above 65 with that trans.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks