• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV tires, runflat required or not

twisted60

I'm about to put new tires on my HMMWV, is it a good idea to put the runflats back in ? Or can I run the tires with out runflats ? I don't see running low tire pressure in my future, mostly just drive to events and back.

MTR tires going on 12 bolt rims, M998 1986.

Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is just a safety thing with runflats. Not required. Just in a blowout situation so you arent dropping 8 to 10 inches to the ground and turning it into a tripod truck. People are going with the PVC ones to save weight.

I run them in my 5 ton just for safety reasons just like alot of trucks ran them without. Honestly we have broken down some of the old MTs off of 12bolt rims here lately to not have runflats in them at all.

Augi

If you air them down without bead locks you run the risk of breaking the bead.

Runflats have saved my ass a couple of times, including in Death Valley.

Augi.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the piece of mind they give, leave them in.

A guard ? hmmwv in NJ a few years ago lost a wheel/rim/hub on the turnpike, flipped on its side and pinned a service person under it. I believe she lost her arm. Just a fyi that things can change in a minute and these trucks don't have much rollover protection. Not that the run flat made a difference here but just saying how easy it can be....

That runflat can keep you from having a very bad day. The weight and hassle are just not that big a deal not to take a chance. YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks