• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton questions help a newbie out

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't know my M931A2 was worth that kind of money. I paid 2777 for it. (with PTO and controls), then again everything in CA. is expensive apparently.

ClanOGallagher

Yes this side of the country is very expensive I can find them all day back east for cheaper but I have to consider transport cost over just buying one here. Also lots more rust on that side of the country compared to this side for the most part

guardrail

Try using the the generic AF Form 1800 or equivalent. It's a good guide to start with and can be customized to your needs. It may not list every item on your specific vehicle, but it will list the system in general. We used the form for everything from a pickup to special equipment.

Two things more expensive in CA are fuel and property. Cars are cheaper. I also found groceries cheaper.

Last edited:

ClanOGallagher

Try using the the generic AF Form 1800 or equivalent. It's a good guide to start with and can be customized to your needs. It may not list every item on your specific vehicle, but it will list the system in general. We used the form for everything from a pickup to special equipment.
Where do I find the AF Form 1800 from?

guardrail

Waiting for moderator to approve link. Maybe this will work....

static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a4/form/af1800/af1800.pdf

ClanOGallagher

So bad news for me and even worse news for the seller. The (title) is actually only the paperwork from the auction and the sf-97 to the person who bought the truck from the auction. I took pics of it and brought it to my friend at DMV and she said no F-ing way with that paperwork the original buyer from the auction has to pit it in his name before it can ever be sold and titled again. So I tell the guy and he tells me he bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy who got it from the guy who bought it from the auction. So needles to say it will probably never have a California title for me to be able to buy it. Dang it my dream is crushed!

74M35A2

So, we were not so wrong, when nearly every one of us posting said to chase the title first, while you were saying you’ve got that part covered via your connections.

Lou e

Sorry to hear that but you have learned a few things along the way that you can apply to the next one, and there are enough of them out there that there will be a next one.

someoldmoose

Sorry to hear about the SNAFU but unfortunately it's a common thread (no pun intended) with trying to procure an MV for civvie use. I was VERY lucky with mine. Your dream "girl" is out there. One friend had a LOCK on a 934 in Kansas and it fell through in the DMV even though it was (allegedly) a clean title held by the seller. She was more than let down since she had already made one long trip (from Canada) to check it out in person. If owning one is in your future it will happen, just keep looking.

As others said, if you have a doubt, trust your intuition. There are many, many pitfalls in this game but conquering them really IS part of the fun, at least for me. Best wishes and Happy Motoring.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to turn this into a for sale ad (and I'll be happy to delete this if anyone thinks it crosses the line), but my M818 is still available in AZ with a clean transferable AZ title. Turbo, 16.00's, hard top.....

ClanOGallagher

Former SSG I would love to own your M818 but distance and price keep me from buying yours at the moment. You know the circumstances of why I don't have the funds right now but I'm back to work and saving...

8madjack

Dang, just saw this thread. ClanOGallagher I believe we had a pm conversation about deuces a while back. I'm not far from you, Id help you look at it if you find another one. A year back there were some screaming deals, particularly out of the teno area so check that cl also.

I AM NO EXPERT, I am new at the MV hobby myself, stumbled across my m931a1 on cl looking at deuces. I bought it, THEN started educating myself, I got lucky! Anyway hit me up if you have questions.

8madjack

You're describing an M931A2.

There's a big long list of things to check, but first and foremost is whether the seller has a title in his name. Not an SF97, not a bill of sale, but an actual state issued title.
Did I miss something? How do you know it's a m931?

ClanOGallagher

Ok getting my first MV tomorrow not the 5ton I was trying to get cause he isn't able to get the (title) so I'm getting a 2002 HME fire truck from a guy who has the California title it was over in Iraq or some other middle east country cause all the controls are in English and in Arabic too.

I can't seem to figure out how to add a pic to show you guys. I'll go ask my 11 year old see if he can help me do it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks