• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton questions help a newbie out

71DeuceAK

It's a cab over so I can't have anything go over the cab so I was thinking of getting rid of the pumper bed and making it a flatbed/crawler hauler and haul a camp trailer behind it. Now all I need it a 5 ton for the axles and tcase to make it a 4x4 then it's my ultimate rig...
Thinking of cutting up an M939 for the axles? Most people would hate me, but I've considered the same for a particular project I have in mind.

71DeuceAK

I want the axles but might just get them from Boyce or somewhere else that has already pulled axles at to not tare apart another great MV
That's my thoughts as well. I want some 5 ton axles for another idea I have but I'd have kind of a hard time chopping a 5 ton. Just to prove a point myself I got scrap yard quotes for a 923 (not that I'd ever do it obviously) and at $1300 I'm keeping one whole for sure.

ClanOGallagher

Selling my pumper bed off my fire truck if anyone wants to turn their deuce or 5 ton into an unstoppable fire truck for their property or community. Open to trades for MV's or cash is king

someoldmoose

Selling my pumper bed off my fire truck if anyone wants to turn their deuce or 5 ton into an unstoppable fire truck for their property or community. Open to trades for MV's or cash is king
That body would not work well on a Deuce except for looks. With a full tank of water ( looks like 1000 gal. ) and foam, and equipment that body will weigh in around 7 tons. Fire apparatus are notorious for being "overweight". A "bobbed" 5 - ton would work if the springs are upgraded to take it or the body modified to fit the tandems underneath ( a big job ). That being said, as a volunteer firefighter of 37+ years, might I suggest you sell it as-is for fire service use and put the proceeds toward the vehicle you describe ( 5-ton axles, cab-over, etc. ). Sounds like a 1078 to me. Just an idea . . .

ClanOGallagher

Thanks someoldmoose but here in California can register anything that's a (tactical) vehicle LMTV and then I wouldn't have the crew cab I need to have for my family of 6. I'm also talking to my local fire department and see if any other local companies would be interested in the body

someoldmoose

Ahhh, understand. Legal B.S. : ) Would make a nice Wildland Interface truck for some Dept. if they ​found an AWD chassis to drop it on.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks