• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a1 Advice

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time posting. I accidentally put this under modifications earlier but anyway here goes again. I just bought a 1963 Studabaker M35 a1 that needs a lot of work. I seems like all of the parts are for a2s. Are the parts interchangeable? Right now the truck only starts with a gas soaked rag. I’m really hoping it’s not the IP. The fuel tank was full of muck and something that didn’t smell like diesel so I’m going to clean the fuel system first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations! I am only saying this to be helpful as my knowledge is thin, but search those threads and use that search function.

https://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_www_deuce_m35.php
http://www.militarytrader.com/military-vehicles/dating-deuce-g-742-2-12-ton-cargo-truck-production

These articles will give you basic differences, but on this site there are threads that discuss the differences that you may not find in the TMs. Oh also if all else fails compare part numbers in the TMs for both models and you may be surprised to find that there are a lot of similar parts. Manufactures of military vehicles don’t like to make up new parts all the time and the military likes common parts so repairs are easy and part stocks are not complicated and of too much variety.

Katahdin

An actual A1 is somewhat rare, most were upgraded to A2s. What does the engine data plate say? You'll find it on the passenger side of the block.

As for advice, absolutely clean the tank and replace all the filters. You'll also want to replace the fuel pump hose inside the tank, and there is a fuse on top of the tank for the pump you'll want to check as well.

We also need to see some pictures!

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the information. The engine plate tag says Continental 427 on it I will have to figure out how to post some pictures. I’m not that good at this technology stuff. That’s why a 55 year old truck suits me.The truck needs a lot of work and the bed is not original. It has a homemade flat bed on it. It has a newer lift pump that does work if it is not sitting in grey sludge. I picked it up for $1000 because it didn’t start.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be fun watching you bring this girl back to life, an M35A1 is on the hard to find side of things.

Last edited:

Katahdin

That's cool, the LDS-427 is definitely an A1. If I saw one at that price I'd grab it too!

Most parts, filters, injection pump threads, etc you read about here will apply to your A1.

The main difference between the A1 and A2 engines was displacement. By adding displacement to create the naturally aspirated LD-465, it got the same HP as a turbo-charged LDS-427. Same HP, but cheaper to make, etc. Then later the EPA forced the military to put turbos on the LD-465s anyway to clean up exhaust smoke.

You should have a Type G injection pump. This pump does not have a FDC (Fuel Density Compensator). Fuel adjustment rate is a little different but well documented. I think it uses the same HH (Hydraulic Head) as well.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought we added turbos to just make the visual footprint of the truck less. I mean in the old videos you could see them coming from miles away.

DavidWymore

I am a huge A1 nerd and am dying to see pics. I'll be back after work to give you some tips.

In the meantime, a search for M35A1 will turn up some info.

Somewhat rare indeed, though the differences are slight and 99% of parts will interchange.

Katahdin

The M35's REO OA-331 engine made peak horsepower at 3200rpm -- 600rpm more than the A1's lds-427. Many of those early multifuel head gaskets could've been blown due to operator error.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the information. The engine plate tag says Continental 427 on it I will have to figure out how to post some pictures. I’m not that good at this technology stuff. That’s why a 55 year old truck suits me.The truck needs a lot of work and the bed is not original. It has a homemade flat bed on it. It has a newer lift pump that does work if it is not sitting in grey sludge. I picked it up for $1000 because it didn’t start.
LDS 427-2.jpg Back several years ago, Barstow Truck Parts had an LDS 427 new in the can. When the owner John Rajacich passed away, his son just scrapped everything. To bad. Most of what I've heard about the LDS 427 is, most are old and they haven't been well maintained due to lack of parts, so they get parked and left to rot, or they get replaced with an LDT. Love to see some pictures of your truck.

Last edited:

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck is not going to impress visually. It looks like an old farm truck. New Mexico Teche used it to haul things and put a Homemade flat bed on it and a role cage inside the cab. My friends think I was nuts for buying it, but it looks fun to me. I’ve heard there is an upgraded head gasket for a 427. Does anybody know where I can get one?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take a stab at it and say try White Owl Parts Co. (252-522-2586) or Memphis Equipment Co. (901-774-0600) Both have been in the Military Truck business a long time, and have experienced people to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks