• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More trouble than I can handle...

Brad

It's just one thing after another with this M135. The starter went out the day before Memorial Day. The only reason my Dad and I restored this truck was to haul Vets in parades, etc.
Now I got a truck full of Viet Vets lined up for the 4th of July and still no starter fixed. I just took it off for the third time.
This is not the original starter. We converted this truck to a standard shift. We had trouble with the automatic tranny and Dad decided to switch the complete engine, tranny etc. from a second truck he had. We had everything we needed, it went easy enough and has worked fine for years.
When the front drive of the starter went out I took it to a local guy that rebuilds them. He put on a new selinoid> When I got it back on it would click several times but then kick in and start right up. I called him and he said I might have a bad battery. Then I told him this truck is 24 volt. He told me it needed a 24 volt solenoid so back off and to him. I get it back on tonite and nothing, not even a click?
Now I'm thinking my starter may not be a 24 volt? I got the Delco Remy no 1107681 and 9M7 on it. Any idea how I can find out what voltage that starter is?
I am having him put that other solenoid back on and better yet, if he still has my old one, it. The solenoid was not the proble,, but the front drive?
I was told these trucks were converted to standards and the starter switched? I wonder which starters were used?
Thanks to anyone that can help????

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Check your voltage at the starter from your start signal wire. If you have a 24v solenoid and you aren't getting enough voltage then you may be droping it somewhere.

What transmission/bellhousing arrangement are you using?

DUUANE

That number crosses to a delco 10mt starter 9 tooth pinion 12V..
If youre putting 24V to a 12V starter it should spin like crazy.. ive used 6V chrysler starter with 12V systems and its great..you just have to not crank the engine too long or heat will build up in the windings and things will go bad.
I would start with a volt meter as was suggested..check the signal wire for the full 24 volts..also check your battery cables for corrosion in the jacket..ive had old cables that looked good at the terminals but that were oxidized in the insulation (looks black or green instead of shiny copper) and had high resistance and slow or no start.
If that all checks out then suspect the starter. Theres more to a starter inspection than changing a solenoid.
Get back with us and let us know what you find..we will help you narrow it down and find the problem..also check the resistance of your starter switch/button, it may not be rated for the amperage/voltage and may be suspect..my yard crane cornbinder V190 eats a switch once or twice a year depending on the duty cycle. The V549 engine is a hard cranker.
Good luck..be patient and systematic..youll beat it.

Brad

I did some searching last nite and found also that this is a 12 V starter. I am going to try and check the voltage today. This solenoid has two small posts on it. One seems to do nothing there is only on small wire and the big wire straight from the battery(s). That's how it was on the donor truck and we just copied everything exactly and it has worked fine for 8 or ten years since until the front drive went out of the starter. It still would spin, just not kick into the flywheel.
Thanks all for the help, I need it.

Brad

OK friends, if your still out there?
I switched back to the 12 volt solenoid. Now it clicks every time I hit the starter button, 4 to 6 times, then it kicks right in and starts. But when I shut it down it does it all over again.
I am going to try and check the batteries. Even though the starter is 12V and there is 12V to the starter, the truck system is 24V and has two 12V batteries.

DUUANE

It sounds like you have the positive lead for the starter wired to the first battery..and the feed for the rest of the truck wired to the second battery..that should be fine..i would suspect the starter switch in the dash..my cornbinder does the same thing when it gets tired..have to hammer the switch a few times to get it to crank. The starter solenoid still pulls a decent ammount of amperage and you need a heavy duty switch.40 or 50Amp rating
If that doesnt get it working right replace the switch wiring.. also check the engine,body and chassis ground straps and connections..remove them..sand with 80 grit to shiny metal, then reinstall with a generous blob of grease and a new bolt and lock washer.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks