• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Complete steering replacement on my K30

Glockfan

Interested in the steering shaft upgrade, I was thinking of getting a steering shaft from an XJ at a junk yard. What are your thoughts on that vs the new linkage you got? Does this bolt onto your existing steering shaft?
I actually stole Sharecropper’s idea when I decided to go with the replacement joint. Not sure which one he went with but I chose the chrome moly steel “racing” joint. Initial impressions are very good. It is a $100 part but there will be no room for slop in the linkage. The little steering coupler has a very high quality needle bearing U-joint in it. One side fits the 30-spline steering box and the other is 1” DD. Should be exactly what I need. Here are some pics.

887DB481-ED8A-4F0B-84D0-D2788191E146.jpg
2E8429E1-0E5D-47D4-BDAD-B7C9E3489B40.jpg

More to come...

Barrman

I just yesterday did the XJ shaft swap into my truck. Same basic u-joints as the flaming river ones pictured above. Amazing difference in how it drives.

stevenbeven

Awesome, I may take a trip to the junk yard to try that first since it looks to be an easy swap. What years work for the XJ shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why I didn't answer. The years are kind of varied depending on the source. Here is the part I bought and with just a little file work on the bottom of the column, fit perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VPWBTY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A quick Google search using that part number shows 84-94 on that, so that seems a pretty safe range to look for. The file work is needed anyway so the bolt can pass through.

Here's a nice guide for the install:

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/xj-st...8-94-trucks-95-instructions-on-page-31.12087/

And a video for getting it to slide in and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVsx-x98sk8

Skip to about 12 minutes into the video.

Last edited:

Barrman

I also used a propane torch. The darn thing would not collapse until I got little bubbles at the slide joint. Then it moved very easily.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the XJ steering shaft offer any advantage over a stock shaft using the Flaming River replacement joint? Just curious...
Yeah when I got ready to swap my rag joint for a universal, I considered the XJ conversion. But there was just something inside me that would not let me install anything from a Jeep on my M1028. The Flaming River joint installed easy and perfectly, and to this day my steering is tight and responsive. So why do anything else? Just my 2 cents.

Glockfan

Yeah when I got ready to swap my rag joint for a universal, I considered the XJ conversion. But there was just something inside me that would not let me install anything from a Jeep on my M1028. The Flaming River joint installed easy and perfectly, and to this day my steering is tight and responsive. So why do anything else? Just my 2 cents.
You have not steered me wrong yet... Which is why I purchased the new joint without reservations. Just picked up six quarts of Swepco 715 and now have everything I need to get started. I am dragging my feet because it is hot outside right now. Waiting for a break in the weather.

FB9B19F4-1738-4088-9126-5584C61D4938.jpg

stevenbeven

I definitely understand wanting to keep an unadulterated system! Mine was going to be a tracker pull truck but never made it to a race and I’m taking it down a more practical route. I did just go with the Jeep steering shaft but haven’t driven it on the street yet. Installed yesterday the complete ORD crossover and can’t wait to drive this afternoon. Need a longer bolt for steering shaft upper bolt and was zapped by the heat yesterday and didn’t make it to the parts store. Everything came off and went in pretty straight forward. I did need a tie rod removal tool for mine to come off but just used loaner from autozone. I was going to do a nice write up but the heat was killing me and I just went through as fast as possible after a while. Crossmember hole for steering brace got a bit Swiss cheesed lol. I’ll get the nut welded this week so it’s secure though.

Glockfan

Dang that looks good! Makes me want to jump on mine and get it done. I don't have to contend with the humidity like you did. I just have plenty of 100-degree desert sun with no shade...

stevenbeven

Lookin good! Mine ended up being super tight after install And no return To center on the way to the alignment shop. But after the alignment it turns much easier and returned to sender perfectly. Nothing major needed just basic alignment adjustments.

Glockfan

What size is that stinking steering nut on the 2WD box? I have to torque that dang thing to 192 ft lbs and I want to have the right socket...

UPDATE: Since nobody answered, I assume you may have ran into a similar issue and improvised if you installed a PSC 2WD box.

For future info to folks that run into the same problem, here is the solution: The flats on the output shaft nut measure 32.66 mm. All I had was an 1 5/16” socket in 12-point and my 32mm socket was obviously too small. Any 12-point socket that doesn’t fit exactly right when putting 192 foot pounds of torque on the nut is not good. I bought a six point 33 mm socket and it did the job.

Last edited:

Glockfan

Well, after literally dragging this project out for what seems like months, it is finally done! After getting it back together and taking an initial test drive with the new components, I hit a pothole and had hellacious death wobble. It scared the living schit out of me. I “limped” back to the house and scratched my head. It turns out that one of he Delrin king pin bushings was in bad shape. I decided to switch out the Delrin bushings for Reid Racing Bronze bushings and I ditched the king pin springs. I replaced the springs with urethane king pin spring eliminators from Crane Axle.

Yesterday, I had the tabs welded to my axle tube and tie rod for the PSC hydraulic assist ram. I installed the ram last night and plumbed it. I am still working the air out of the system but it already drives like somebody else’s truck! What a difference this steering upgrade made... I am over the expense now and ready to enjoy driving my truck again.

here are a few random pictures...

ORD Crossover and 1.5” x .375” tie rod
681314A7-B104-4ABE-90A1-183664E65DDA.jpg

PSC remote reservoir
5185E99C-226A-4BEB-99C2-4A1C0DD632BA.jpg

PSC 1.75” x 8” assist cylinder and tabs welded to the axle tube
3A6A1C64-6271-4B47-BF07-2D21A9AAE23E.jpg

Long hydraulic lines to assist cylinder. More line = more hydraulic fluid, less heat...
897A4EAB-9E41-499A-8F08-8FA5E2CD1A12.jpg

A pic of the ram mounted to my axle tube and tie rod...
CBFAE4E2-885A-4FEE-A7CC-EBC0DD9674C7.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks