• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noob from CT with a new to me trailer!

randomzg

Hey everyone, long time lurker and finally decided to join up. Picked up an old military German (or French?) trailer and trying to find out some info on it! Still has the tags, with language both in German/French. Can't seem to find much info online but stoked to have grabbed it! For now its going to be a utility trailer for hauling firewood etc. Maybe one day I'll restore it and convert to an Overland trailer. :tank:

IMG_6042.jpgIMG_6043.jpgIMG_6045.jpg

Zac
Northwest Corner, CT

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a 1950's German made clone of the US WWII 1 ton Ben Hur trailer. They were brought over about 20 years ago by various vendors such as Army Cars. Contracts for these trailers were handed out to aid with economic reconstruction of war devastated Germany. I have one, it is hard to tell from the real thing once the wiring is removed.

tobyS

It looks like a straight, nice trailer, worth preserving and handy size. Have you read the Behr paint threads? It would be a perfect candidate for some rust prep, red oxide primer and olive drab Behr Ultra (Home Depot). Brush and roller work great. I like flat black Rustoleum (Lowes) for the undercarriage and wheels but original would be green, I think.

Edit....NDT....great info

randomzg

That is a 1950's German made clone of the US WWII 1 ton Ben Hur trailer. They were brought over about 20 years ago by various vendors such as Army Cars. Contracts for these trailers were handed out to aid with economic reconstruction of war devastated Germany. I have one, it is hard to tell from the real thing once the wiring is removed.
Great info! It was listed only as a "military trailer" and I thought initially that it was a WWII trailer, so this makes sense.

Do you know if they had actual VIN numbers, or is the 3 digit number on the tag the "VIN"?

Appreciate the info

randomzg

It looks like a straight, nice trailer, worth preserving and handy size. Have you read the Behr paint threads? It would be a perfect candidate for some rust prep, red oxide primer and olive drab Behr Ultra (Home Depot). Brush and roller work great. I like flat black Rustoleum (Lowes) for the undercarriage and wheels but original would be green, I think.

Edit....NDT....great info
Yeah, its straight and solid. Hardly any rust. Tail gait is all bent but it rolled nice down the road and everything seems to work. Need to get it wired up so I can use it. Needs tires to start.

Ill check out that thread, guess I know what ill be doing this summer!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great info! It was listed only as a "military trailer" and I thought initially that it was a WWII trailer, so this makes sense.

Do you know if they had actual VIN numbers, or is the 3 digit number on the tag the "VIN"?

Appreciate the info
Yes the 3 digit number is your VIN.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ben Hur 1.jpgBen Hur 2.jpg NDT and Tinwoodsman are correct. Looks like a metal WW2 era Ben-Hur 1 Ton trailer. Next, get a WW2 CCKW to pull it. Good find and Welcome Aboard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks