• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1989 M998 - Cranked but would not start

Txt8888

I am a new humvee owner here. I got the M998 for a few weeks and started and ran great.

last weekend, I thought I took the M998 out for a casual ride to the coffee shop, but it wouldn't started. The wait light did come up for a couple seconds. So it seemed the glow plug controller was in working order (I assume).

The battery gauge was LOW (on the RED, left side). I used a volt meter to check the two batteries and it was 22.xx volt. Should this have been 24V or higher? was this the reason the M998 wouldnt start?

Any advice to a new owner would be greatly appreciated.

Txt8888

I just went out and tried again and it seemed like the battery issue. It's much weaker than last week. The starter turned.

my next question is that could I use the CTEK-US-Multi-7002 battery tender (link) to charge the batteries? if so, do I separate the two batteries or it is not necessary to separate the battery.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Second that simp. Get them boosted and then try again. Use a voltmeter or multimeter to check your charge coming in to them while running. Don't trust the stock gauge.

Txt8888

just went home for quick lunch and hooked up the multi-meter to the battery terminals, when I turned the switch to the wait light, the multi-meter showed it dropped down to 16V. I can safely conclude it is battery lost their charges issue. Will charge them this evening when get home later

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks