• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pretty sure my air packs shot.......

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I found one that is supposed be NEW & not NOS. Guy said they bought it from the manufacturer less than a year ago

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure you use some air tool oil on the incomming air line and the square canister plug before you use it. Can be done on the work bench. I might stand the air pack up when you do the square plug and twist the whole air pack around to get the oil all over the walls of the cylinder and to get the seal well coated.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just use regular air tool. As for the square plug in the canister I might go with a couple of ounce's and rotate it around up and down round and round then drain out when ever comes out. Then just service it on a regular bases using the amount the TM calls for. I have found two different amounts in two different books.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. It will be next week before i have a chance to work on the truck. I'll let yall know how it turns out.
My military International Harvester book says to fill it till it runs out after install. That seems like a lot but it does say after install. I can't remember what our TM's say but it was not like that. Also says every six months but I bet that is when heavy use. Guess we could discuss the different amounts or at least post up the two differences are. Think the big problem is no air dryer on the Deuce.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great it did. Wonder if someone better than me on the computer could put it all in one piece for downloading? Owell if it helps anyone than good.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustystud started to get a nice TM together on the air pack but I don't think it ever got updated with the rest of the pages. Maybe he could finish it off because it looked like a good one. Or maybe he could look and see what his book says for the lubercation if nothing else.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never hear of vacuum cylinder oil. Is that the same as vacuum pump oil? Most of what I've read says use air tool oil. Admittedly i haven't read the TMs yet.

rustystud

Never hear of vacuum cylinder oil. Is that the same as vacuum pump oil? Most of what I've read says use air tool oil. Admittedly i haven't read the TMs yet.
The military used a special oil that costs about $50.00 quart. The only way to buy it is in 55 gallon drums. It costs a lot of money ! I once tried to get a group of Steel Soldiers to buy a drum but no one wanted in. Every now and then I check on the price. It still is obscene !
Using a good air tool oil should be fine. After all most have not been lubed since leaving military service, and their still working.
When rebuilding mine I use "Silicone Grease" to lube the piston and bore. It lasts a long time.
Floridianson mentioned installing an "Air-Dryer" in the air system. That is an excellent idea. It keeps crap from interfering with the operation of the "Air-Pacs" air valve. I installed one a few years ago now and my whole air system operates in a most "excellent" fashion !
I know, strange choice of words. My blood pressure medicine is off and the doctor is experimenting with new ones. I'm feeling pretty weird right now.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military used a special oil that costs about $50.00 quart. The only way to buy it is in 55 gallon drums. It costs a lot of money ! I once tried to get a group of Steel Soldiers to buy a drum but no one wanted in. Every now and then I check on the price. It still is obscene !
Using a good air tool oil should be fine. After all most have not been lubed since leaving military service, and their still working.
When rebuilding mine I use "Silicone Grease" to lube the piston and bore. It lasts a long time.
Floridianson mentioned installing an "Air-Dryer" in the air system. That is an excellent idea. It keeps crap from interfering with the operation of the "Air-Pacs" air valve. I installed one a few years ago now and my whole air system operates in a most "excellent" fashion !
I know, strange choice of words. My blood pressure medicine is off and the doctor is experimenting with new ones. I'm feeling pretty weird right now.
Man I hope the Doc gets your meds straightened out.

Is there a write-up on here anywhere on your air dryer install? I would love to read more about that. Sounds like a "most excellent" idea! Really seems like something that should have been on the truck from the factory.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks