• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pretty sure my air packs shot.......

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Marvel Mystery Oil as air tool oil and waterproof red grease for "permanent lubrication" when rebuilding air components.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe when Rusty gets feeling better he can look at his repair manual. Then we can see the amount of oil his wants put in the piston chamber for servicing.

rustystud

Man I hope the Doc gets your meds straightened out.

Is there a write-up on here anywhere on your air dryer install? I would love to read more about that. Sounds like a "most excellent" idea! Really seems like something that should have been on the truck from the factory.
I had an "install" post somewhere.
The meds are due to the fact I had a small heart-attack in May. Thankfully it happened at the doctors office ! I guess if your going to have a heart-attack do it at the doctors. I had to go to the hospital and do all those tests and such. My blood pressure was 210/150 . It took awhile to bring it down. It still is high, so that's why all the experimenting.

rustystud

Maybe when Rusty gets feeling better he can look at his repair manual. Then we can see the amount of oil his wants put in the piston chamber for servicing.
I'll try and find the manual. The house is still in disrepair due to the kitchen/front room remodel. Boxes everywhere. I cannot remember where I put it at this time. I know the general area though.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone point me to the TM that says how much air tool oil to put in my new air pack? I been sitn here next to the truck screwing the pooch for an hour & I can't find anywhere that states how much. I know the IH manual linked a few post back says fill it till it runs out the hole I just wana see what the TM says before I do anything.

my blood flows OD

The military used a special oil that costs about $50.00 quart. The only way to buy it is in 55 gallon drums. It costs a lot of money ! I once tried to get a group of Steel Soldiers to buy a drum but no one wanted in. Every now and then I check on the price. It still is obscene !
Using a good air tool oil should be fine. After all most have not been lubed since leaving military service, and their still working.
When rebuilding mine I use "Silicone Grease" to lube the piston and bore. It lasts a long time.
Floridianson mentioned installing an "Air-Dryer" in the air system. That is an excellent idea. It keeps crap from interfering with the operation of the "Air-Pacs" air valve. I installed one a few years ago now and my whole air system operates in a most "excellent" fashion !
I know, strange choice of words. My blood pressure medicine is off and the doctor is experimenting with new ones. I'm feeling pretty weird right now.
896CF971-A41D-4E04-A415-410C85CD6073.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like what we are trying to do is keep the felt ring saturated with oil. That way it lubes and keeps the bore clean with every stroke. I will stick with air tool oil. If at all possible the best thing if not and air dryer would be a water trap on the air-pak supply line. If we go buy the pm or fill till the plug level I don't believe it will hurt anything just keep it lubed with oil.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have yall ever seen new air packs come pre oiled? I attempted to put 1.5oz of air tool oil in mine today & after less than .5oz it was coming out the fill hole. Didn't expect to see that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture of said fill hole?

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont have a picture on hand but i can take one this evening if need be. Its the 1/8" (I think) plug in the rear of the air pack.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I figured I'd update yall. I got the new air pack on & bled & I got brakes. The pedal is kinda soft but it doesn't go to the floor, its consistent AND it stops the truck so I'm happy. Im on the road for the 1st time since i got the truck!:driver: Im sure the pedal will get better once i get the wheels off & go through everything. New brake hoses & wheel cylinders are in order & prob shoes too. Im guna start at the front axel & work my way back & service everything brakes, seals, bearings, new gear dope, both of my front knuckle boots are busted & the list goes on. Been a long time since I had a project truck & it feels good.:D

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I figured I'd update yall. I got the new air pack on & bled & I got brakes. The pedal is kinda soft but it doesn't go to the floor, its consistent AND it stops the truck so I'm happy. Im on the road for the 1st time since i got the truck!:driver: Im sure the pedal will get better once i get the wheels off & go through everything. New brake hoses & wheel cylinders are in order & prob shoes too. Im guna start at the front axel & work my way back & service everything brakes, seals, bearings, new gear dope, both of my front knuckle boots are busted & the list goes on. Been a long time since I had a project truck & it feels good.:D

Good job!!

It's always gratifying to read about folks who follow-up their posts when they have issues/problems/questions. Please keep us updated on your truck's progress!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks