• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 BUILD (I know there has to be thousands of these by now)

jimm1009

Gee thanks guys. I have been without a Deuce for 5 years and after reading this thread I can no longer sleep at night. All I see is me behind the wheel of a W/W truck on a hunting trip with my son. :) Kidding of course. I can not think of anyone more deserving of a beautiful truck like this than a man that drove one or was around one while on active duty. This is not to disparage someone that was never in the military but you vets should be first in line and drive them till the wheels fall off. LOL
Sending you a PM MRMAG1. Need parts information.
Jim (jimm1009)

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I replaced all the seatbelts with a brand new kit for a 5 ton from Fuzzytoaster. I painted all the troop seats and cleaned her up for the Veterans Day Parade. I also installed a cb antenna mount for a fire stick antenna. As PCS season is half a year away I still feel under the gun th figure out the jib crane question. What crane to get? Are ramps a better option? Etc etc.... Loading large rifle safes in this girl is gonna suck no matter how I go about it.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something that can pick up and swing a 600lb safe into the bed, jib crane seems like the ticket. Unfortunately most of them for bed mounting have horrible reviews.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well I replaced all the seatbelts with a brand new kit for a 5 ton from Fuzzytoaster. I painted all the troop seats and cleaned her up for the Veterans Day Parade. I also installed a cb antenna mount for a fire stick antenna. As PCS season is half a year away I still feel under the gun th figure out the jib crane question. What crane to get? Are ramps a better option? Etc etc.... Loading large rifle safes in this girl is gonna suck no matter how I go about it.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?11516-Crane-Ideas&p=109819&viewfull=1#post109819 <---- discussion and pics of various bed mounted cranes

So, here's the problem with all of the various cranes you can mount in these trucks: you have to build a really serious support system under the bed floor because the loads that the crane will impart to the floor will bend it and break it, even if you use the under-floor angle iron braces that most of these cranes come with.

It is such a problem that I have forgone having one of these in my truck, even though it would be really useful. I think if you are really serious about a crane, I'd get a piece of 1/2" thick steel and cut it where to can lay flat under the bed floor and tie in as many sides as possible to the bed crossmembers, inner bed frame, outer rail, etc.

On your gun safes, a crane won't cut it. The crane will likely run out of vertical travel before the bottom of the safe clears the bed floor.

People have made ramps for the deuce, but the issue becomes height, length, weight, breakover angle, etc. A ramp that is light enough for you to move it by yourself is going to be short. And the deuce bed is so high, the angle going up the ramps will be steep, really steep. You won't be able to move a safe up the ramps.

If you don't have access to a forklift, skid steer, etc., then I'd put a civvy trailer hitch on the truck and just buy one of those cheap 12' tandem axle utility trailers. They're low to the ground and have a ramp so you can handtruck or roll stuff up the ramp.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?11516-Crane-Ideas&p=109819&viewfull=1#post109819 <---- discussion and pics of various bed mounted cranes

So, here's the problem with all of the various cranes you can mount in these trucks: you have to build a really serious support system under the bed floor because the loads that the crane will impart to the floor will bend it and break it, even if you use the under-floor angle iron braces that most of these cranes come with.

It is such a problem that I have forgone having one of these in my truck, even though it would be really useful. I think if you are really serious about a crane, I'd get a piece of 1/2" thick steel and cut it where to can lay flat under the bed floor and tie in as many sides as possible to the bed crossmembers, inner bed frame, outer rail, etc.

On your gun safes, a crane won't cut it. The crane will likely run out of vertical travel before the bottom of the safe clears the bed floor.

People have made ramps for the deuce, but the issue becomes height, length, weight, breakover angle, etc. A ramp that is light enough for you to move it by yourself is going to be short. And the deuce bed is so high, the angle going up the ramps will be steep, really steep. You won't be able to move a safe up the ramps.

If you don't have access to a forklift, skid steer, etc., then I'd put a civvy trailer hitch on the truck and just buy one of those cheap 12' tandem axle utility trailers. They're low to the ground and have a ramp so you can handtruck or roll stuff up the ramp.

If the safes are on there back it won't matter much, the plan was to weld a plate under the bed that is welded to the frame/ bed supports to keep it from breaking the bed. Now a trailer is probably gonna happen as well. Yeah I have 12' of bed space but not a lot of height in there with the cover on, and well you need to cover when you're moving just in case of weather. it all wouldn't be much of a problem if I lived alone but families happen so yeah lol.

reloader64

Mrmag1,
Which Veterans Day parade will you be attending? In Killeen, or are you driving down to Austin? There is also a parade in Cedar Park on Saturday, the 10th.

Scott
Lone Star MVPA
lonestar-mvpa.org

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got invited to go to Ceder park by a MVPA member. I turned in a application with Killeen but they haven't gotten back to me in over a week.

nchittendon

Oh tracking, well I think I am going to stay away from that build.
I'm in the same boat. I was going to mount a 46" tire/rim in the bed of the truck, but fighting it in and out of there in a time of need (more than likely a time that the bed is stuffed full) would be a PITA.

I saw this picture a while ago and archived it on my hard drive. Thought it was a unique way to mount the spare tire (especially since he has added another tank as you want to).

After much thought, and the current modifications I'm doing to my truck I decided that I'll probably end up mounting a spare onto my M105 trailer which will be with me anytime I leave town. Otherwise, I can call any number of people to run to my house and grab it for me if needed.

Thought about a roof mount too, but I don't have a crane or plans for one. So that's out.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I was they only one doing that, I have a folder on my desktop of all the build ideas I ran across on here.

I'm getting there on some of them but maintenance and safety upgrades are coming first. As the time for my next PCS approaches I am gearing up to drive from TX to GA, thus the truck needs to be in tip top shape for a 18hr drive. So much to do so little time...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks