• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 BUILD (I know there has to be thousands of these by now)

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20180826_150408.jpgIMG_20180826_150426.jpgIMG_20180826_150617.jpg

I ordered new data plates from Big Mikes MotorPool. The only problem is that they are a bit bigger than my old ones (see last picture) and not having a drill press made it interesting to tap the holes.

Now there is one plate that I will not replace, my main data plate with my S/N. My M35A2 was made by the General Products Div of JEEP, not Kaiser Jeep and not AM General. It was made or at least platted in the few month gap between the two named manufactures. Not super rare or even that cool but it is a interesting tidbit about my truck that makes it stand out a little.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I took the M35A2C to my friend Jason to flip my hubs and pun on my new wheels. I ordered super singles meant for MRAP trucks that never got issued, I also got steel rims. I got these from a company in Avery, TX http://www.aaa1surplus.com/ . I got the adapter plates and hardware from Canadian Rockwell for cheaper with shipping then I found anywhere in the states.

Now Jason https://www.facebook.com/jsmotorsandfabllc/ is the one who started my build but left Military trucks.com to make his own shop, I wish he would have built my truck all the way through but more on that in another post.
123_1_03.jpg123_1_02.jpg123_1_01.jpg123_1.jpg
He did a great job of fliping the hubs and packing in grease and servicing my hubs and seals while he was at it, Jason is a very detailed guy.
image000000.jpgimage000000_2.jpg
Then he put them all together and painted them and rust proofed the rims and plates.
2018092695175416_2.jpg2018092695175359_2.jpgIMG_20180927_190339.jpg

I have to say that after it was all said and done from the little companies and one big one I went to, grand total for rims, tires, hardware and labor to flip the hubs was about $3500! A great price for improved fuel economy and a great new look.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a great looking truck, nice . Have you had the caster angle changed (block at the axle)?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No sir I don't think so, Jason flipped the hubs and re packed them with grease. He also checked all the bearings and replaced seals for the hubs and Axel's.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of threads on the subject, so I won't repeat them here. I highly recommend that you make the modification with that much weight and size of tire.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a statement from gringletaube, but none of the links work on the thread: There are many experts on this subject here. You can improve the handling with the larger tires.

"Radials should run parallel (zero toe-in) and caster angle be at least +4º."

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well they are all in line so that's good, I'll have to look at the caster tho. I will say she doesn't shake over 55 anymore and she Handel's better than she did with the NDT.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a great improvement and your getting some use out of it.

Sounds like you had several shops you dealt with, maybe one of them is better than the other to have a look at this issue. Given the size of changes you have made, it should be a relatively small change, that I think you will be pleasantly surprised in it's handling.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I dealt with two so far directly, one is Jason (great guy) and the other is Auction Plus aka military trucks.com, and I'll say this I will NEVER EVER work with military trucks.com again! More on that later tho, I'll save all my pix and reviews for when I finish getting my paperwork.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20181008_130639.jpg

Well I got troop seats and a bow kit from fuzzytoaster, I cleaned em up and painted them 511 black to go with the current black green paint job I have going. Tomorrow I'll cut down the stickups and put on the cover I got.

dmetalmiki

I also want to convert the wipers to (A) ! exce (P) ! t civ blades.
Get electric wipers, and the blades they Accept (!), that is a definite 'must do'.

(and ) "just 'ribbing you" >so is a ..Spell checker<.

Fantastic project, And very well thought out, You will definitely have the Truck equivalent of a "Salami Sandwich'' with..ALL ON (to go!.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks