• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 BUILD (I know there has to be thousands of these by now)

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figured it was time to start my build thread, I will be posting limited for the time being but when I get home I am hitting the ground running (my wife will love that I am sure). I am having a 1971 M35A2 W/W restored as a M35A2C Wo/W.
IMG_1026.jpgIMG_1027.jpgIMG_1152.jpgIMG_1366.jpgIMG_1403.jpgIMG_1404.jpgIMG951223.jpg
Now I know what you are going to say, what?!?!?! You are having it restored not restoring it yourself?!?!?!
Yes, I am deployed and I am tired of waiting to have one. I thanks to this site and helpful people on it am planning some major upgrades and a lot of small ones.
Things I plan to upgrade:
-Running lights (not a lot just 4)
-Jib crane for the bed (I own a lot of safes and when it is PCS time I like to move myself)
-Fire extinguisher, safety first right.
-Complete BII, original and some extras (the Army has thought me to bring better and more than the truck comes with)
-Boarding ladder, wife is short for the bed height lol.
-Battery disconnect switch with key.
-CB radio.
-better shifter knob, I never did care for the stock knob.
-CUP HOLDER!
-12V cigarette ports and usb ports.
-Roof basket/ rack.
-dual tanks, I want to hold more than 50 gal.
-spray the trucks names on the doors.
-back up camera.
-Super singles, split rims are death and I would rather not have them anymore when I can afford to do it.
-Foldable front bumper steps for easy engine bay access.
-CB radio antenna mount.
-battery box dividers and battery holder.
-Mud flap jerry can holder/ water can holders.
-Spare tire rack in the bed.
-Interior light.
-Spin on oil and fuel filters.
-Lockers for the front axle, I am unsure of this upgrade since I have the air switch in the cab and not the springer switch.
-LED head and tail lights, also front blinkers.
-Radiator stone shield kit
-Light bar? Undecided.
-Locking gas cap, this will be made by me via two chain links and a pad lock.
-Overhead console for radio and CB.
-Reverse lights.
-Chock block holders under the bed.
That’s most of it, I am not doing it all in one shot but that’s what I have looked at so far and decided I want to do. This will be a multi-year thread for sure. Yup I fully embraced the crazy that is this hobby.

Lou e

Looking forward to seeing it all come together, looks pretty amazing already and the list of upgrades are well thought out.

Get home safe!

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s a six month rotation so not a lot of pay, but I’ve used almost 5 months so far reading and planning and "barrowing" ideas from other members.

Also at the top of that list should have been a canvas and bow kit with some fiberglass troop seats.

CMPPhil

Hi

Where do you plan to bolt the Jib Crane? I have a hydraulic with electric cable winch rotating crane bolted left front corner works really great with drop side body. Added some box tubing under the floor plate to bolt the load to the structure.

Enjoying your project keep us posted.

Cheers Phil

Thanks for your service.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

Where do you plan to bolt the Jib Crane? I have a hydraulic with electric cable winch rotating crane bolted left front corner works really great with drop side body. Added some box tubing under the floor plate to bolt the load to the structure.

Enjoying your project keep us posted.

Cheers Phil

Thanks for your service.
Far rear passenger side corner of the bed, I figured I would bolt it through the bed to an extra metal plate as I will be lifting 600lbs sometimes. Probably going to be a winch style crane.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
-Jib crane for the bed (I own a lot of safes and when it is PCS time I like to move myself)
Did this on my deuce and on a 101 trailer. Got mine from Northern Tool it was hand crank and then pump to do heavy lifting. It would lift 700 lbs and cost about 150 but that was close to 10 years ago.

-Fire extinguisher, safety first right.
Have this but not in TX. It will be awhile before I could bring it down.

-Complete BII, original and some extras (the Army has thought me to bring better and more than the truck comes with)
I currently have a shovel, pick, ax set in the classifieds.

-spray the trucks names on the doors.
I have stencils you can barrow or depending on size I might be able to get them cut but you should be able to do this by you locally.

-Super singles, split rims are death and I would rather not have them anymore when I can afford to do it.
I have the spaced M35A3 spare tire carrier.

-Spare tire rack in the bed.
Uh, no, been there, done that. This is not what you want to do when it comes PCS time.

-Interior light.
I have M577 interior lights in frosted, blue, or red lens.

-Spin on oil and fuel filters.
Talk to jatonka. I got mine from him and they were excellent.

-Lockers for the front axle, I am unsure of this upgrade since I have the air switch in the cab and not the springer switch.
Go with a desplined hub, it's cheaper, you just change out hubs before you head off mudding.

Mine was an M35A2C with A3 tires and rims. Used it for several very long DITY moves along with a M1061 trailer. The 1061 was made for the 5 ton but my deuce pulled it and stopped it with no problem. Get some cargo nets and pack your stuff into Hardigg cases or something similar to the pack stuff in. Massive assortment of ammo cans also very useful for moving dishes as well as tools. You will need to find foam and bubble wrap. We kept all our packing stuff from move to move in the Hardigg cases we moved in.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to put the tire somewhere if I delete the tire rack to add another tank lol. As far as the trailer goes I may buy a civ trailer to haul my Tacoma on.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC is right, better to have the spare closer to the ground. But since you are putting a jib crane in the bed, you might be able to get away with using that to put the tire down when needed.

You said you truck originally had a winch, why remove it?

Looking forward to this build. :beer: :driver:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC is right, better to have the spare closer to the ground. But since you are putting a jib crane in the bed, you might be able to get away with using that to put the tire down when needed.

You said you truck originally had a winch, why remove it?

Looking forward to this build. :beer: :driver:
It had a PTO that was in bad shape, it was another 1,500 to keep it part of the re-build. I decided to go electric down the road instead.

AceHigh

Looks like a great truck! I was in Killeen last year at the 1st Cav Div Assoc Reunion and last week they held it here in WV. Lots of Killeen folks there. I wanted to take my truck but nowhere to park it.

Keep the photos coming and be safe out there!

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_5065.jpg Added a third seatbelt
IMG_5067.jpg 2x 12V power ports
IMG_5076.jpg Added a muffler for less noise (have a 2 year old that loved the ride she got today in it)
IMG_5078.jpg
IMG_5080.jpg And finally added a 18,000 pound receiver for regular non-military trailers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks