• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3116 turbo upgrade ??

gjswt19

I found this on ebay and was wondering if anyone could tell if it would work for the 3116. It says they are for the 3126B or C7 motor, the nsn # 2950-01-518-3535. If anyone knows what to look for to be able and verify if it would work that would be helpful. Thanks in advance

EBAY LINK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, for my hp upgrade I used the turbo from a 290HP engine. That with the fuel adjustment was all that was necessary to REALLY wake up the 3116 in my LMTV. I have the parts manual and could look that up but it will be a bit.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You could put an S300 on it but you would want bigger injectors. The S300 comes on the 350hp rated 3116. The turbo from a 3126 will work. You would need some fuel adjustment though to get any gains. so I would just adjust the rack and leave the stock turbo on it.

On the version of the turbo listed in that ad. It will work. I would honestly cut the wastegate rod in the middle and thread both ends and put a turnbuckle on it so you can shorten it so it will hold longer and produce more boost.

There is a 600hp version of the 3116 but its a special cat build inside and meant for marine applications.

Some power upgrades for the 3116.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?47789-300-hp-CAT-3116

Last edited:

gjswt19

The turbo part number for the 3126 is 4R8915 and they don't offer a rebuild kit for it anymore. I might end up going that route and getting one from an 6x6 but was just exploring other options and cost$$.

coachgeo

Hi, for my hp upgrade I used the turbo from a 290HP engine. That with the fuel adjustment was all that was necessary to REALLY wake up the 3116 in my LMTV. I have the parts manual and could look that up but it will be a bit.
what difference if any did this make to your fuel milage?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what difference if any did this make to your fuel milage?
MPG will very due to differences in weight of right foot. Mostly negative affect to MPG.. turbos add air to 1. Be able to add more fuel for more HP, 2. Assist in lowering EGT. In the TM range is the same for the 225hp and the 290. But experience shows if more HP is available it is used.

gjswt19

Sorry for the ebay link but here are the specs and I was wanting to know if this unit would be plug and play besides the fuel adjustment or if any other mods would be required to fit the turbo. I know the 6x6 turbo will work but they seem to be harder to come by and for 500$ this seems like a cost effective way to get to the higher HP as long as its not too much turbo. Any info would be appreciated

Caterpillar 3126 Turbocharger
Turbo Dimensions Compressor 85mm Bottom, 60mm Top. Turbine 73mm Bottom, 64mm Top

Part Number177357
Previous Part Number178481
OE number10R1416, 228-4737, 2284737, 10R6402, 307-8324, 3078324
DescriptionTruck Various, Military
CHRA177554 (2284739, 3078328, 477357)
Turbo ModelS300CG-83H36DS-CUM/0.80BTF74DA1, S300CG145
Engine ManufacturerCaterpillar
Prefix1WM, 6RW, 99Z, MGC, DLM
NSN2950-01-518-3535, 2950015183535
Manufacturer Part Number173687
Displacement7.0L, 7000 ccm
FuelDiesel
KW261
RPM2600
Truck Engine3126
S/N1BW1373-4208, 1BW4209-UP
Angle α (compressor housing)250º
Angle β (turbine housing)153º
Replaces Part Number173687
NOTERestricted to Caterpillar
ManufacturerBorg Warner - 3K - Schwitzer, BWTS USA

gjswt19

I do not know but I purchased the turbo that I had asked about and it appears that it would bolt up, the gasket matches and the intake and exhaust are the same. I haven't hooked it up yet since I do not know how to adjust the fuel properly, if anyone does or has a recommendation that would be great.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
I do not know but I purchased the turbo that I had asked about and it appears that it would bolt up, the gasket matches and the intake and exhaust are the same. I haven't hooked it up yet since I do not know how to adjust the fuel properly, if anyone does or has a recommendation that would be great.
Any follow up on that purchase?
I just bought the same one.

gjswt19

Any follow up on that purchase?
I just bought the same one.
I haven't made any progress at all, I need to find a shop that would do the tuning but haven't had any luck. I wish there was a write up on how to dial in the fuel mixture after installing a different turbo, but i haven't found anything. If i make any progress with it I'll let you know.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I haven't made any progress at all, I need to find a shop that would do the tuning but haven't had any luck. I wish there was a write up on how to dial in the fuel mixture after installing a different turbo, but i haven't found anything. If i make any progress with it I'll let you know.
Uh. Simple. Put on turbo. Increase fuel. Install Pyro and boost gauges. Load truck with weight or a heavy trailer and find a hill. May be a challenge in Texas though

While driving monitor Pyro vs boost and foot position. Blowing black smoke under Load vs its pulling power at a certain point. You will know when it's right after a few adjustments

Its mechanical. Noone is gonna get a good setting from only 1 adjustment

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Did the one you received have coolant ports??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks