• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suspension torque rods.......new dust boots available?

Camel Driver

On the rear of the M1083's there are 4 dog bone and 2 V shaped torque arms. I just bought a whole set to replace my beat up units. But the NOS rods have been sitting for a while and I noticed their dust boots are starting to crack.

Anyone have a source for these boots? Or maybe some aftermarket boots. I have tried looking at a few popular suspension companies but they don't seem to have anything this big. The large hole is 3-5/8 and nobody gets close to that size.

Any idea what company made these torque rods to begin with?

I'm also going to cut open the old ones and make sure I can add some zerk fittings. I hate not being able to grease these things.

Camel Driver

OK. I take it nobody has any idea of a source.

Next question......is anyone else having the same problem?

I'm thinking of making a mold and rolling my own. I can either make a temporary mold for the ones I need or, make a permanent mold in case others are interested?

Just a real rough estimate of cost at about $12-15 each. (Definitely not getting rich at that price) The 6x6 trucks would require 18 for a full set. And I'm pretty sure the 4x4 trucks don't need anything like this due to the fact that the leaf springs do all the stabilizing of the rear suspension.

Speak up if you think you might be interested in some. I am just now starting to do my research for this project but, I have to do something soon. If there is no interest I will be going with a temp mold. If I end up going that route, I will probably do a little FYI post for those who might be willing to make their own. Hahaha, it isn't "Rocket Science" or "Magic", pretty much anyone here could DIY as long as you have a good dust boot and materials. But, you may just be a sticky mess while you do it. :D

ramdough

Awesomeness makes bushings. You may see if he is interested. I think he has been selling what he makes pretty easily. Maybe talk to him.

I think the market for polyurethane parts will only increase as these trucks age and as more are sold to the public.

Generally speaking, if you are going through the trouble, you might as well make something you can sell. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coachgeo

in old threads like this... it is wise to look at the date when the person you want to ask a question ..... was last on the board. aka.... appears Camel Driver has not been on steel soldiers at all since early Jan. 2020

some folk get an automatic email sent them if some one PM's them, Maybe you will get lucky and he will get a message to pop in here if you PM him?

B-Dog

This isn't perfect but it's the best thing I could come up with, save for casting custom parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks