• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison in M35A1 or 2

tobyS

I was thinking about my A3 having an Alison automatic, with the PTO ring and began to wonder if anyone has installed an Allison auto transmission in an older deuce, the A1 or A2 years.

Is the tranny mount on the multi-fuel an "SAE" flange and flywheel? Is the bolt pattern on the crank compatible for a flex plate ?

Would a 545 work?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was thinking about my A3 having an Alison automatic, with the PTO ring and began to wonder if anyone has installed an Allison auto transmission in an older deuce, the A1 or A2 years.

Is the tranny mount on the multi-fuel an "SAE" flange and flywheel? Is the bolt pattern on the crank compatible for a flex plate ?

Would a 545 work?
Pattern is SAE 3 .

tobyS

Thanks Wes. So is the Allison 545. Hmmmmm. I have a short bus with one behind a IH 345 gas. I was planning on getting it out, so that is good to know. I'll have to look and see if it has the PTO ring, it does have the 6 bolt plate.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Wes. So is the Allison 545. Hmmmmm. I have a short bus with one behind a IH 345 gas. I was planning on getting it out, so that is good to know. I'll have to look and see if it has the PTO ring, it does have the 6 bolt plate.
good thing is in the world of old school is that spicer stuff is all interchangeable so alot of does is compatible to allison as well. In my opinion i would pull the multifuel out and just swap in a DT466 with the 545 from a international bus or box truck and swap the whole powerplant over screwing that that multifuel. The DT is a tougher power plant and easily adapted to most trucks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been discussed before: the AT 545 is over 5 inches longer than the stock manual transmission, measured from it's bell housing mounting flange to output flange. So you will have to get very creative with some kind of short coupling, transmission to transfer case. Or move the whole TC backwards, which will make the whole project much more complex (and costly...)

tobyS

Maybe that is why, when they designed the A3, that the engine is forward.

HanksDeuce

I have an Allison AT545 mated to a Cummins 6BT in my bobbed deuce. Top speed with 53" Michelin's is 55mph while riding the governor.

I left the transfer case and driveshaft from the tranny to transfer case unmodified. This made me push the engine forward. Only hiccup there was to put a military dump truck hood for the added length. Then a custom brush guard. And everything else.

tobyS

Hank....yea that's quite a machine....I like it a lot. My A3 will be a lot like it but on 395's. I spent some time looking for one that had the spare behind the cab and there are not many of them. Your's is the first I've seen...but I know more guys have to have done it.

Yea, I understand they are not a high speed machine. Wes mentioned the Allison with 6 speed, which if I had my choice, would give a bit more top end. A3 has the cat 3116 and the AT 1545, so I have the same gear issue as the 545 (in this build)...except throwing the locking converter in to make parts hard to find and maybe get a couple extra mph. At least I'm starting with a freshly rebuilt one to put in the A3.

Did a deuce dump truck have a longer hood or did you go to one from a 809 series? I was thinking 809 would be an alternative for the A1 and A2....A3 already has a longer hood because of the Cat.

My behind the cab spare is being combined with a ROPS, top over the cab and a winch at the top to go over the cab or behind the bed with an A frame crane. I have a Grove crane winch with about 7K capacity. The part over the cab and spare will have diamond plate to dance on top of it. The angles I have that attach to the frame to form the base of the ROPS and spare and winch are 3 1/2" x 5" x 1/2"....so should truly not crush in a roll over.

HanksDeuce

I think it was an 809 series. m-35tom suggested it because it was 6" longer. My build website says it was a gasser hood. I think I got it from Eastern Surplus.

tobyS

Is the same as my 817....it really looks good and gives some room in the front...very nice.

The other A3 (that I sold) had the steel hood with extender strips. I could see using the 809 series instead. The oem early A3 hood was rusting and dented...needed replaced

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks