• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blast Media Cost

Loose Deuce

I want to do some sand blasting on certin parts on by Deuce and I cant find anyone in my area to do it. Are those small pressureized blasters worth getting? I've seen some for around $100.00 with 20 and 30 gal tanks on wheels, does anyone have any experiance with these small blasters? I know they cant compare with the large commercial blasters.

Also what is the adverage cost of the sand? and where do you get it? [:)]

lacoda56

I saw your post this morning before work and been kinda thinking about it all day. You're where I was 25 years ago. My first thought would be try harder to find someone else to do it for you. But then I remember that I really like sandblasting [not too bright]. Keep in mind this is only my two cents worth and that aint worth much. The most common blast media around here is silica sand, the stuff that gives you silicosis, a fatal lung disease. I get it from a supplier, but most building supply stores handle it. Usually runs about $5 to $6 a hundred pound bag. The blast pot you mentioned is good for small projects but can do larger areas depending on your time and patience. The size of the nozzle or blast tip is what sets the size of the area being cleaned. I once did the inside of a steel box [tandem dump truck size], with one of those and it took two days. The really important thing [see silicosis above] is to have completely clean breathable air at all times. Until i got a pressurized hood, I used a charcoal type paint mask. They're hot, smelly, and expensive, but they keep you alive. Don't go with the cheap paper dust masks, they let too much dust get by. Now the really expensive part, the compressor. If your compressor can't handle a steady stream of air at the blast nozzle, it won't work. You will run out of air, waste sand and time and get frustrated. Been there and done that many times. I don't have any idea what cfm you'll need, but a bare minimum for pressure is 80 psi for a decent job of blasting. Keep in mind there's a lot of different blast media, and different ways of doing things. This is some of what I've picked up over the years. Sorry for rambling, but that's what happens when you get old.

Loose Deuce

Lacoda56, Thanks for the advice I can always use plenty of it. I agree with you on the compressor, it probably will be more cost efective to find some one to do it because that compressor will be too costly for me to get with the other stuff

Dieselsmoke

Lacoda56 said it well. I always try to rent at least a 250CFM compressor. The more the better. Actually I try to farm my blasting out if possible.....cuz I hate it! :skull: Another thing, ear protection. The sound of sand blasting against sheet metal for several hours can be quite damaging to your hearing :nono:

lacoda56

Dieselsmoke,

Huh? Somebody say somthin? Good thing I don't have to hear a computer. There's no arguing the part about sand blaster scream destroying your hearing, permanently! Now that I'm older but not a whole lot smarter, I use the foam roll up ear plugs. Seem to block out most of the damaging noise.
Older compressors must have been rated differently. My 105 cfm Leroi ['43 military] will easily handle a 3/8" blast nozzle with 1" hose. I tried a newer 125 cfm and it couldn't begin to handle it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks