• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lubricating Oil vs. Motor Oil

Bravotroop

I bought a case of oil from NAPA. Part No. 75-115, D0718H, "SAE30 non-detergent Lubricating Oil." Nowhere on the package or bottle does it say "Motor Oil" or "Engine Oil." Weird. SAE30 means this stuff is okay for an old Case tractor engine, and my Deuce engine, right? Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I bought a case of oil from NAPA. Part No. 75-115, D0718H, "SAE30 non-detergent Lubricating Oil." Nowhere on the package or bottle does it say "Motor Oil" or "Engine Oil." Weird. SAE30 means this stuff is okay for an old Case tractor engine, and my Deuce engine, right? Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.
It is motor oil. Non detergent oil is best used on things that do not have a filter system. Otherwise any standard 15w40 oil will do. Straight 30 weight she may rattle a bit.

Bravotroop

Okay, the boring back story. I sent one of my crew (I'm new on the job) to buy ten quarts of 30-weight oil for the ranch Case tractor, since there was a half-full quart of SAE30 labeled "tractor" on the shop shelf. Oil filter on the Case was marked 2015. Figured it's overdue for an oil change, and I'd keep the tractor on the same diet, since it still runs great. The ND stuff he got from the store doesn't say "motor" or "engine," so I posted the thread. If the Case grew up on detergent oil, no harm with ND, since the oil is bought and paid for. If the Case grew up on ND oil, again no harm with ND. And I don't want to dissolve any old sludge, I just want to be sure that an oil that isn't labelled "motor" or "engine" will be okay in the crankcase, not made solely for non-motor applications.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the link I posted above says,
Keeps the engine clean by minimizing deposit formation, reducing oil consumption by fighting volatility & oil evaporation, resists oil thickening by providing enhanced oxidation control provide thorough anti-wear protection exceeding current U.S., Japanese & European wear tests for gasoline & gasoline turbo-charged engines where each grade is specified

• Resist Oil Thickening By Providing Enhanced Oxidation Control
  • Resists Oil Thickening By Providing Enhanced Oxidation Control
  • Reduce Oil Consumption By Fighting Volatility & Oil Evaporation
And that's the NAPA web site, so...

Also, could you be more specific on the tractor?

Case has been making tractors for well over 100 years.

For the record though, there are much better choices of oils for diesels like the M35A2.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

The only application that I used non-detergent oil in was the transmission on my M35A2. It has been posted that running 40W nd oil will help lower transmission temperatures by M35Tom. Since he seems to have quite a bit of experience rebuilding and modifying the transmissions in these trucks I gave it a try. Sure enough, I went from 190 degree trans temps after a long run of 180 miles to 160 degrees on the same run measured by my infrared thermometer on the outside of the transmission case. The shift lever seemed to move more freely as well but that's a personal observation with no quantitative data to back up my opinion.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Non detergent oil is used for some air compressors, machinery, and very old applications. It has absolutely no additives, just plain ole oil. Anything modern requires anti foam/anti wear, and detergent additives for long life. Unless your case is from the 40-50's, it will not be happy..... Modern engines need the additive package in today's oil.

Just return to your Napa and exchange.

See below for a more refined answer:
https://www.fillingstation.com/articles/earlyengineoil.htm

rustystud

The only application that I used non-detergent oil in was the transmission on my M35A2. It has been posted that running 40W nd oil will help lower transmission temperatures by M35Tom. Since he seems to have quite a bit of experience rebuilding and modifying the transmissions in these trucks I gave it a try. Sure enough, I went from 190 degree trans temps after a long run of 180 miles to 160 degrees on the same run measured by my infrared thermometer on the outside of the transmission case. The shift lever seemed to move more freely as well but that's a personal observation with no quantitative data to back up my opinion.
You will get even cooler running transmission with a synthetic oil. Shell makes a transmission specific 50W synthetic oil. Almost all major truck transmission manufactures recommend this oil.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This oil is likely very low on Zinc. If this is the case, your camshaft and lifters are going to be very mad at you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks