• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 help

Gabeada

So I’m in a strange spot. I’m visiting family in Romania and my grandpa has an m1008 that he bought in the 80s... thing is it doesn’t run. I’m in America and they don’t really know what’s wrong with it. I’m pretty mechanically enclined so when I go visit I wanna try and get it running. My shot in the dark is it’s probably a bad ignition pump. I’m not very well read on smaller diesels. Basically if you had to guess what’s the most common thing to cause a no start on one of these. Super broad ik but I’d like to buy a couple parts and bring them with me just to try it out 🤷🏽*♂

cucvrus

Glow plugs not working properly. Of course dead batteries, bad starter, fuel issues. The list goes on and on. If he bought it in the 80's he must have connections. Good Luck. That is a tough guess at best.

dougco1

So I’m in a strange spot. I’m visiting family in Romania and my grandpa has an m1008 that he bought in the 80s... thing is it doesn’t run. I’m in America and they don’t really know what’s wrong with it. I’m pretty mechanically enclined so when I go visit I wanna try and get it running. My shot in the dark is it’s probably a bad ignition pump. I’m not very well read on smaller diesels. Basically if you had to guess what’s the most common thing to cause a no start on one of these. Super broad ik but I’d like to buy a couple parts and bring them with me just to try it out 路*♂
Your going to guess whats wrong from afar and bring some parts? How big is your suitcase?

MarcusOReallyus

My shot in the dark is it’s probably a bad ignition pump.
Hmmm. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on CUCVs on this forum, so I will happily accept correction, but I'm pretty sure there's no ignition pump on that vehicle.

In fact, I don't even know what an ignition pump is. Never heard of one before.

As to what the problem might be.... well, what are the symptoms? No crank? Click, but no crank? No click? Crank but no start? Crank with white smoke? Crank with no smoke?

At a minimum, take some batteries, battery cables, a starter, starter relay, glow plugs, glow plug relay, glow plug controller card, fuel pump, a fuel filter, some diesel treatment, a new sock for the fuel tank, and probably some other things I'm overlooking.

If you take those, you can be sure that none of them will be the problem. :mrgreen:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can probably get this locally: Fuel hoses and fittings/clamps. enough to replace all the fuel lines in the system, as well as any vacum lines. in other words anything that can rot, probably did. Some rtv to seal up the possible air leak in the filter base where the sensor lives.
I would bring an electric fuel pump and filter . they are small and this will help with figuring out problems without having to crank the engine as much. it can then be used as a backup pump
when you are done.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When was the last time it ran?
What makes you think it’s an injection pump issue?

As mentioned above, whatever you bring along with you will not be the problem.

There are so many variables and possible causes.

You can easily transport a GP controller card, glow plugs, GP relay, fuel filter(s), and fuel pump and fuel pickup sock.
Injection pump can be shipped, rebuilt, shipped back if it’s determined to be the issue.

Hoses can be bought locally.
Not sure what fuel treatment they will have available.

Don't forget the CUCV TM’s are available for download on this site.
Read the CUCV stickies also. Very helpful!!
Schematics are great also.

Good Luck.

Merddin

Hmmm. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on CUCVs on this forum, so I will happily accept correction, but I'm pretty sure there's no ignition pump on that vehicle.

In fact, I don't even know what an ignition pump is. Never heard of one before.

As to what the problem might be.... well, what are the symptoms? No crank? Click, but no crank? No click? Crank but no start? Crank with white smoke? Crank with no smoke?

At a minimum, take some batteries, battery cables, a starter, starter relay, glow plugs, glow plug relay, glow plug controller card, fuel pump, a fuel filter, some diesel treatment, a new sock for the fuel tank, and probably some other things I'm overlooking.

If you take those, you can be sure that none of them will be the problem. :mrgreen:
The ignition pump is between the blinker fluid reservoir and the carburetor! I thought everyone knew that.

someoldmoose

Diagnosis 101 : Start with the basics. Fluids full ? Does it crank ? No, charge batteries and bar engine over by hand at least FOUR full rotations ( If you can't turn it by hand, give up now unless you have time to do a complete tear-down ). If engine turns by hand and batteries charge up, try again. Still no crank ? Check starter motor ( very likely rusted internally or armature stuck to bushings or electrical connections bad )
Cranks now but no start ? Air filter "clean" ? Exhaust open ? ( some critter mighta thought the muffler was an apartment. YES, I HAVE seen it ) Diesel gotta BREATHE ! Fuel to injectors ? (crack open line fittings and watch for fuel while cranking ) No ? Diagnose fuel delivery issue. If it's got air and fuel, cranks well and still won't start the cause is compression related and there isn't enough room here to get into that. A "quick" check is to remove the injectors, squirt a LITTLE (about a 1/2 teaspoon) oil into each cylinder and bar it over by hand again. The cylinder walls and rings can be too far apart (not sealing) therefore no compression. At least there's no ignition system to diagnose. Good luck and Happy Motoring.

moehos

Like a couple other members mentioned, without any symptoms, diagnosing isnt really possible.

When you say "ignition pump" do you mean the high pressure fuel injection pump?

There is a low pressure pump on the passenger side of the engine, pretty simple affair if you are good a car yoga (not much space to work). The part is about $25-35 as well. I wouldnt dink around with an electric pump, they dont speed up or slow down with rpm.

The injector pump is expensive (like $200 - 300) and although relatively simple to replace, requires the removal of lots of gubbins on the top of the engine.

The glow plug controller might be another likely no start, also expensive, fairly easy to replace.

If you were just wanting to get your grandpa service parts that are easy to mail or travel with, glow plugs, injectors and fuel filters are probably a nice choice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks