• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP952b will not start.

Peaceodarock

Ok, so, I am new to this board and thank you for it and any advice I can get. I bought a MEP 952b APU from an online govt auction about 6 months ago for $450. Amazingly, the sticker price was still on it that we, the taxpayer paid, wee over $30,000.00! Well, that is that. I got it as a back up for my solar and batteries off grid full time home. The oil looked new, the unit looked new, it was missing the air filter element so I got one. I do not have the remote with cable but all else is there. It ran great and I have less than an hour run time on it. Now it will not start. The reset on it popped out one day as I was trying to start it, if I remember correctly. I cannot hand crank it either. I downloaded the huge 500+ manual and when troubleshooting all it eventually says to do is replace the control panel. I hope the Army carried spares. I hope to bypass it. I found another panel online but they quoted me $850. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
So you have the manual start handle and it won’t crank over by hand? Have you opened the unit up and looked for rodents? Water infiltration? Anything else that shouldn’t be?

DieselGenAC

Yep, more details please. Does the electric starter crank the engine? If so, open the top doors and find the solenoid on the throttle lever. Does it go down and stay down as you crank the engine? Does it have fuel all the way to the mechanical pump on the engine? The 952B fuel system isn't the greatest. The electric pump fills a little red box in the fuel module but the mechanical pump has to suck fuel the rest of the way.

Peaceodarock

So, to clarify, the attached fuel pump does not start to prime the engine when the switch is set to "prime" and neither does the engine starter engage or energize. When I take the start/prime switch to prime or start nothing happens. The only response I get from the set is when I take the APU switch to on I get a solid clunk as the switch engages or energizes. Not sure what is actually happening unless an output breaker is closing...

Peaceodarock

So to clarify, when I take the prime/run switch to prime the fuel priming pump does not start and when I take the same switch to run the starter solenoid does not engage, nor does the starter energize. I do get a heavy click when the APU switch is taken to on but that is the only response on the unit anymore.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok, so, I am new to this board and thank you for it and any advice I can get. I bought a MEP 952b APU from an online govt auction about 6 months ago for $450. Amazingly, the sticker price was still on it that we, the taxpayer paid, wee over $30,000.00! Well, that is that. I got it as a back up for my solar and batteries off grid full time home. The oil looked new, the unit looked new, it was missing the air filter element so I got one. I do not have the remote with cable but all else is there. It ran great and I have less than an hour run time on it. Now it will not start. The reset on it popped out one day as I was trying to start it, if I remember correctly. I cannot hand crank it either. I downloaded the huge 500+ manual and when troubleshooting all it eventually says to do is replace the control panel. I hope the Army carried spares. I hope to bypass it. I found another panel online but they quoted me $850. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ok, you have read and followed the troubleshooting guide. So what if any LEDs were illuminated? Have you pulled the printed circuit card? Was it burnt any place? Do you have 24 volts to the input side of the card?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks