Thread: “What did you do to your_____ today” might be ruining search results?

Colonel
    Thanks

Default “What did you do to your_____ today” might be ruining search results?

I fell like these daily on going dialogues under one common title such as “what did you do to your deuce, 5 ton, cucv, etc. makes searching for info more difficult. A lot of good info is being descussed under these titles rather then starting new threads with a title relevant to the topic being discussed. When a search is conducted for any of this info you are lead here to look thru 795 pages of unrelated topics to potentially find something helpful and related to your search.
    this site is filled with tons of brilliant knowledge
    With input for so many talented minds.
    It frustrating when the search engine can’t help you tap into that info.
    I know there a few guys that work very hard to keep this site in good working order for the rest of us to enjoy, so I don’t want to come across as ungrateful.
    I truly appreciate the work that you all put in and I’m not a computer guy and don’t know for sure how the whole search engine works. It just seems to me that if people where to descuss info under related titles rather then one title for all activities it might help?
    The gears in my head are like the gears in my truck.
    They might be a little slow, but when they get turning there is no stopping them...

Thanks

Sometimes my question falls into those topics but it gives me “what did you do to your deuce today page 54” or something like that. Usually helps, but I will exhaust the whole search engine to find things. I am 99.9% successful in my endeavors this way and find serval ways to do what I want to do.
    1971 M35A2C " Marauder"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrmag1 For This Useful Post:

my blood flows OD (07-05-2018)

Colonel
    Thanks

I just tried a search for “mrap adapter plates”.
    first result was “what have you done with your deuce this week” with no specific page indicated.
    im sure that there is plenty of great information on adapter plates in the 795 pages.
    Im I using the search engine wrong?
    Maybe I need to retitle this thread to “how to use search engines for dummies” to help others like me in the future. Haha!
    They might be a little slow, but when they get turning there is no stopping them...

MVPA
    37424E
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,750 Times in 3,174 Posts

Unfortunately this is just what happens with a structure-less data source comprised from entries from different people. What I mean is, anyone can post anyway they like here. Let's say I start a thread about MRAP adapter plates. I title it as such. What happens when someone else starts a thread with "M35 adapter plates". Both of them are true. But vastly different to a search.
    M114
    1992 M1038
    1969 M35A2 wo/w, hoist in bed, heater, Ooga horn, Recentered HEMTTs and 395's, "Candy Smasher"
    1968 M543A2 Wrecker - You know, for heavy lifting...
    1984 M931 - SEMTT project
    198? M270 trailer TBD...
    1985 M1008 - SMOKEY 8" lift, 37" humvee 24 bolt wheels/tires, turbocharged.
    And a few M105 and M101 and other trailers

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patracy For This Useful Post:

73m819 (07-07-2018), clinto (07-07-2018), microjeep (07-08-2018), Tinwoodsman (07-08-2018)

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patracy View Post
    Unfortunately this is just what happens with a structure-less data source comprised from entries from different people. What I mean is, anyone can post anyway they like here. Let's say I start a thread about MRAP adapter plates. I title it as such. What happens when someone else starts a thread with "M35 adapter plates". Both of them are true. But vastly different to a search.
    I understand sir.
    i thinking the only solution would be to post sticky topics around explaining to be mindful that all tech related conversations can help other members if folks are more vigilant of how they title there info. (Refrain from tech talk under these 700+ page posts where valuable info gets lost.

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,418 Times in 2,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by my blood flows OD View Post
    I understand sir.
    i thinking the only solution would be to post sticky topics around explaining to be mindful that all tech related conversations can help other members if folks are more vigilant of how they title there info. (Refrain from tech talk under these 700+ page posts where valuable info gets lost.
    One time when I had the flu, I started trying to index the site.

Like, I literally created links for topics in an index.

A: I realized I'd die before I got 25% complete
    B: I realized at some point the site would update to a new style of URLs and the thousands of links would not work and all the work would be in vain.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

Colonel
    Thanks

I have no idea what indexing a site means or the work that is involved with it.
    Im not a computer guy. I run a bridge construction crew. We run 60 lb jackhammers 3-4 hrs. Per shift. I love jackhammering, been doing it for 15 years. My job also requires me to do about 15-20 min. a day on a computer and if I was given the choice I would rather walk barefoot on broken glass then do that part of my job so I have a great respect for people that donate there time to keeping This site up and running, because I could never do it.
    Last edited by my blood flows OD; 07-08-2018 at 03:00.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to my blood flows OD For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (07-08-2018), tennmogger (07-08-2018)

Thanks

Only time it ever sucks for me is when I put something like “m35 breaks” in the search bar and it brings up unrelated links because someone has m35 in their signature block and it’s a thread about M1008 breaks or something. It shows that it is a link to my search parameters but because we put our trucks in our signature block it shows up.
    1971 M35A2C " Marauder"

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmag1 View Post
    Only time it ever sucks for me is when I put something like “m35 breaks” in the search bar and it brings up unrelated links because someone has m35 in their signature block and it’s a thread about M1008 breaks or something. It shows that it is a link to my search parameters but because we put our trucks in our signature block it shows up.
    Noted.thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,092 Posts

What have I done to my ".."?..The WW11 jeep (of many years), Removed the batter cleaned the HUGE (elding cable) earth lead terminal at the chassis. Then Added another (equally HUGE welding cable Earth lead to the fender top). Two huge welding cable eatrth leads later The Jeep starts before you get in it! (well nearly),
    Then (despite the heat (32c!) Changed to two front (steer) tires on the M45 530C TFFT.
    And thats' enough for tooo day! S' TOOO hot.
    FV. 432. Armoured Personal Carrier.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Radio Body. ex praga command station)
    M45 530C fire truck
    M561 Gamma Goat
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And now 'that' overdrive'..