• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

“What did you do to your_____ today” might be ruining search results?

my blood flows OD

I fell like these daily on going dialogues under one common title such as “what did you do to your deuce, 5 ton, cucv, etc. makes searching for info more difficult. A lot of good info is being descussed under these titles rather then starting new threads with a title relevant to the topic being discussed. When a search is conducted for any of this info you are lead here to look thru 795 pages of unrelated topics to potentially find something helpful and related to your search.
this site is filled with tons of brilliant knowledge
With input for so many talented minds.
It frustrating when the search engine can’t help you tap into that info.
I know there a few guys that work very hard to keep this site in good working order for the rest of us to enjoy, so I don’t want to come across as ungrateful.
I truly appreciate the work that you all put in and I’m not a computer guy and don’t know for sure how the whole search engine works. It just seems to me that if people where to descuss info under related titles rather then one title for all activities it might help?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes my question falls into those topics but it gives me “what did you do to your deuce today page 54” or something like that. Usually helps, but I will exhaust the whole search engine to find things. I am 99.9% successful in my endeavors this way and find serval ways to do what I want to do.

my blood flows OD

I just tried a search for “mrap adapter plates”.
first result was “what have you done with your deuce this week” with no specific page indicated.
im sure that there is plenty of great information on adapter plates in the 795 pages.
Im I using the search engine wrong?
Maybe I need to retitle this thread to “how to use search engines for dummies” to help others like me in the future. Haha!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately this is just what happens with a structure-less data source comprised from entries from different people. What I mean is, anyone can post anyway they like here. Let's say I start a thread about MRAP adapter plates. I title it as such. What happens when someone else starts a thread with "M35 adapter plates". Both of them are true. But vastly different to a search.

my blood flows OD

Unfortunately this is just what happens with a structure-less data source comprised from entries from different people. What I mean is, anyone can post anyway they like here. Let's say I start a thread about MRAP adapter plates. I title it as such. What happens when someone else starts a thread with "M35 adapter plates". Both of them are true. But vastly different to a search.
I understand sir.
i thinking the only solution would be to post sticky topics around explaining to be mindful that all tech related conversations can help other members if folks are more vigilant of how they title there info. (Refrain from tech talk under these 700+ page posts where valuable info gets lost.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I understand sir.
i thinking the only solution would be to post sticky topics around explaining to be mindful that all tech related conversations can help other members if folks are more vigilant of how they title there info. (Refrain from tech talk under these 700+ page posts where valuable info gets lost.
One time when I had the flu, I started trying to index the site.

Like, I literally created links for topics in an index.

A: I realized I'd die before I got 25% complete
B: I realized at some point the site would update to a new style of URLs and the thousands of links would not work and all the work would be in vain.

my blood flows OD

I have no idea what indexing a site means or the work that is involved with it.
Im not a computer guy. I run a bridge construction crew. We run 60 lb jackhammers 3-4 hrs. Per shift. I love jackhammering, been doing it for 15 years. My job also requires me to do about 15-20 min. a day on a computer and if I was given the choice I would rather walk barefoot on broken glass then do that part of my job so I have a great respect for people that donate there time to keeping This site up and running, because I could never do it.

Last edited:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only time it ever sucks for me is when I put something like “m35 breaks” in the search bar and it brings up unrelated links because someone has m35 in their signature block and it’s a thread about M1008 breaks or something. It shows that it is a link to my search parameters but because we put our trucks in our signature block it shows up.

my blood flows OD

Only time it ever sucks for me is when I put something like “m35 breaks” in the search bar and it brings up unrelated links because someone has m35 in their signature block and it’s a thread about M1008 breaks or something. It shows that it is a link to my search parameters but because we put our trucks in our signature block it shows up.
Noted.thanks.

dmetalmiki

What have I done to my ".."?..The WW11 jeep (of many years), Removed the batter cleaned the HUGE (elding cable) earth lead terminal at the chassis. Then Added another (equally HUGE welding cable Earth lead to the fender top). Two huge welding cable eatrth leads later The Jeep starts before you get in it! (well nearly),
Then (despite the heat (32c!) Changed to two front (steer) tires on the M45 530C TFFT.
And thats' enough for tooo day! S' TOOO hot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks