• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L Leak Head/Cover, Expert opinion needed . . .

commofreq

So, I'm used to just writing up a 2404 or 5988 and taking it to the motor pool office. As you can imagine, the first thing I did when I got my M998, was a standard-issue PMCS. But now there's no motor pool office.

That's why I need someone to please take a look at this photo and give me an opinion:

MVIMG_20180705_180209_zpsrwvkefwm.jpg

This is the rear of the motor, with the dog house removed. It's a 6.2L 1989. It looks like a Class I leak, coming out of . . . I guess that's the head or valve cover (I'm not a mechanic). Is this bad? Is this a catastrophe? Nothing to worry about?

Thank you guys very much ahead of time, for taking a gander.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes that's the head. No that's not a class one leak. First, clean off the engine with some simple green, (or something like it) and then run your truck for a few hundred miles before taking a look. I would not lose a lot of sleep over this. There is a chance that this is coming from someplace else. So get it clean, before trying to figure out what its is, and what to do.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got worse leaks than that and happily took my HMMWV up the side of mountains earlier this week. Clean it up and see what's really happening, then watch your oil level and see if it's losing enough to even show up as changes on the dipstick. That looks like a definite "why bother" to me, but every leak is worth watching for a few days just to confirm.
BDGR

someoldmoose

Only have experience with the civvie 6.2 / 6.5 but the picture looks exactly the same. As said above, clean it well and watch it. It does NOT appear to be anything unusual. There might be some slight seeping of coolant which is pretty common on these engines. Unless this showed up suddenly and the fluid levels are dropping, or rising ( coolant going into the oil or vice versa ), letter RIP tater chip.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it looses less than 1 quart between oil changes let it ride. Just take it to the car wash and clean it if it gets too dirty.

snowtrac nome

that would be hard to call a class 1 leak it looks like it hasn't been cleaned in many years. and gaskets will seep over long periods of time clean it up bet it wont come back for a long long time. If it does come back you will have to have the heads milled and the deck of the engine checked before replacing a head gasket. the military wont repair a class1 leak because it isn't cost effective to do so once oil starts to land on the ground repairs will happen even though even with a class 2 leak it usually still not cost effective to do so.

commofreq

that would be hard to call a class 1 leak it looks like it hasn't been cleaned in many years. . . .
Roger that. Yeah, I'm going to get it cleaned up and see what happens next. I looked at this and at first thought it was a death sentence, lol. Then I said, "You have no idea what you're doing."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks