• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 headers

Iceman3005

A turbo will do a lot more then headers. Felt likw adding a turbo doubled the power!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stan's Headers carries them Their part number is 164. They sell for $668.
16482-87Pickups (4WD) Diesel6.2L9,16668.00

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I’ve come full circle on them thar turbos. I wish I had all that money back. My P400 is going to be NA and run cool. I have a set of those Stsns headers on the way and they should be here next week. Decided to go ahead and ceramic coat in a titanium color.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this is just ignorance on my part but that motor doesnt make enough power to need headers, I would think you need to start changing things a lot earlier than exhaust, lets start with cam, exhaust ports, exhaust valves, intake assembly then possibly headers? There are many improvements needed before a set of headers would make any difference, IMHO
Karl

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this is just ignorance on my part but that motor doesnt make enough power to need headers, I would think you need to start changing things a lot earlier than exhaust, lets start with cam, exhaust ports, exhaust valves, intake assembly then possibly headers? There are many improvements needed before a set of headers would make any difference, IMHO
Karl
Hey Karl, evidently you don’t know about the P400 engine I’ve got coming?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Btw, what oil pan are you using with the p400? And what are the power numbers n/a?
I will be using the stock P400 cast aluminum oil pan. Based on my calculations it will just clear the factory crossmember. The P400 is rated at 250 HP NA and 450 FPT. I plan to photodocument everything in my rebuild thread. Received my new Db2831-4911 pump yesterday from Huckstorf Diesel. It is rated at 200 HP. Once I get things together and running I might play with the fuel screw. Because this thread pertains to headers, I will say that my plans are to keep the P400's operating temperature under 210 degrees and let her breathe. The older I get, the more I dislike how turbochargers work. Their principle method of operation is to take 700-800 degree exhaust gases to power the turbo compressor, which in turn compresses outside air which through the laws of nature heats the air it is compressing. As the turbo compressor works, it too is heated by the hot exhaust gases. All this heat cannot escape efficiently, which then heats up the engine itself. And heat, beyond anything else, is the destroyer of engines. The NA P400 will provide me with adequate power for my needs. The ceramic coated headers from Stan's will remove the hot exhaust gases as fast as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper you have my apologies for spouting off WITHOUT all the facts, My wife says I do that once in a while also! I apologize, I will keep quiet next time!
Karl

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper you have my apologies for spouting off WITHOUT all the facts, My wife says I do that once in a while also! I apologize, I will keep quiet next time!
Karl
Ha Ha! Karl no need to apologize! I hope you can follow my P400 install on my rebuild thread.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper,
I went with a single plane intake from a 93 6.2. It is much more open. A also used the 92 air filter housing and made a ram air with a stock hose from a 85 with a 350. The air filter housing has a intake hole twice the size of the stock cucv. My engine is a 6.5 with the turbo removed. I installed dual 3 inch exhaust that stops just before the rear axle. I can spin the tires at a stop sign easy. But hate to do so. IMG_0417.jpg

nyoffroad

WOW I go away and then every body checks in!
Those headers are nice but pricy! They'll have to go on my "some day" list. I'm not looking to soup up my 6.2 just make it more efficient and take advantage of whats already there. Heads and manifolds have already been blue printed smoothed and polished and the pistons/rings and rods balanced those simple mods have made for the smoothest idle I've ever seen on a 6.2 so headers are the next logical step. I think.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper,
I went with a single plane intake from a 93 6.2. It is much more open. A also used the 92 air filter housing and made a ram air with a stock hose from a 85 with a 350. The air filter housing has a intake hole twice the size of the stock cucv. My engine is a 6.5 with the turbo removed. I installed dual 3 inch exhaust that stops just before the rear axle. I can spin the tires at a stop sign easy. But hate to do so. View attachment 734700
Ken; I already have the single plane intake but I gotta have one of those '92 air filter housings and ram air. Is that air filter housing from a '92 6.5 diesel? Is there a part number?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW I go away and then every body checks in!
Those headers are nice but pricy! They'll have to go on my "some day" list. I'm not looking to soup up my 6.2 just make it more efficient and take advantage of whats already there. Heads and manifolds have already been blue printed smoothed and polished and the pistons/rings and rods balanced those simple mods have made for the smoothest idle I've ever seen on a 6.2 so headers are the next logical step. I think.
I have arrived at my "some day". The headers were $1050 including freight. The ceramic coating alone was over $300. I don't care what it costs. I am spending my daughter's inheritance. She will never know.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken; I already have the single plane intake but I gotta have one of those '92 air filter housings and ram air. Is that air filter housing from a '92 6.5 diesel? Is there a part number?
They were on a 6.2 C2500 I found in a junk yard. I don't have apart number. I liked how simple the CRD valve was. You will need a passenger side valve cover to use it. I too have thought about headers but haven't pulled the trigger. My Humvee sucks up all my money lol. Please post pics of your headers when you get them. I'd like to see their quality.

Keith_J

Diesels cannot have valve overlap, the pistons would hit the valves at TDC. High compression ratio. ..so the value of headers is minimum to start. Headers work to reduce back pressure at higher engine speed dynamically. This increases volumetric efficiency at higher speed. Speeds which are limited by diesel injection speed. So exhaust manifolds are designed to reduce low speed restriction without attention to scavenging. The runners would have to be very long to be effective and at that, the benefit is nil.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesels cannot have valve overlap, the pistons would hit the valves at TDC. High compression ratio. ..so the value of headers is minimum to start. Headers work to reduce back pressure at higher engine speed dynamically. This increases volumetric efficiency at higher speed. Speeds which are limited by diesel injection speed. So exhaust manifolds are designed to reduce low speed restriction without attention to scavenging. The runners would have to be very long to be effective and at that, the benefit is nil.
Thanks Keith for your extremely informative reply. However I had to watch the educational video below to fully understand and comprehend your statements...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

LT67

I will be using the stock P400 cast aluminum oil pan. Based on my calculations it will just clear the factory crossmember. The P400 is rated at 250 HP NA and 450 FPT. I plan to photodocument everything in my rebuild thread. Received my new Db2831-4911 pump yesterday from Huckstorf Diesel. It is rated at 200 HP. Once I get things together and running I might play with the fuel screw. Because this thread pertains to headers, I will say that my plans are to keep the P400's operating temperature under 210 degrees and let her breathe. The older I get, the more I dislike how turbochargers work. Their principle method of operation is to take 700-800 degree exhaust gases to power the turbo compressor, which in turn compresses outside air which through the laws of nature heats the air it is compressing. As the turbo compressor works, it too is heated by the hot exhaust gases. All this heat cannot escape efficiently, which then heats up the engine itself. And heat, beyond anything else, is the destroyer of engines. The NA P400 will provide me with adequate power for my needs. The ceramic coated headers from Stan's will remove the hot exhaust gases as fast as possible.
250hp and 450ft lbs torque naturally aspirated?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks