• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A backwards wiring on load gauge?

devilphrog

Just finally went through my personal MEP-803a unit for hurricane season. It's been a busy year so far, and I've been in a "cobbler with no shoes" scenario until now after adding my generator inlet box and panel interlock system. Might as well get it done while there's a hurricane out in the Atlantic.

It's a 1999 Fermont MEP-803A unit bought in January on GovPlanet from MCB Albany with 9730 hours, has a IROAN tag showing rework at 9720 hours, unit appears RESET as well in regards to condition of the unit itself.

I did the ultimate well nut replacement, fuse mod, and replaced the aux pump with an airtex unit (had to replace lines with fuel hose - I used the same pump as main lift pump... This was planned so in the event of a main pump failure I can cannibalize the aux pump and get back into service and refill fuel via 5 gallon jugs).

I Also replaced all of the nuts with Rivnuts and Torx head stainless fasteners and washers FROM Amazon on the top cover and fuel cell cover.

Unfortunately, I also broke off one of my neutral bonding terminals, it's not a big deal as it's going to go to my house and I've bonded the neutral to ground (and attached to ground rod as well, and generator being grounded to the rod as well) on my load bank. Anybody got one they're parting out?

I was having issues with the load gauge being inop and the unit not being able to hold more than 2Kw for more than 5 minutes before tripping an overload fault. It got so bad that I would just exercise the unit with no load when cutting my lawn that the unit was starting to wet stack and puke from the muffler to exhaust joint.

I removed the top and cleaned S8, S6 (and S1 for good measure while I was in there) with Deoxit More importantly, I found the wires going to the gauge were reversed. Made them right in regards to the wiring diagrams.

Got to a load test today, and it pulled 13KW no problem for as long as possible, outside of my load test circuit breakers popping (I've realized now I installed too small of breakers on my load bank box now, especially considering the wiring gauge I used, #6. Load bank is 2ea 5400W dryer elements on 30A breakers, 1 2700W element on a 15A breaker), as well as burning the exhaust system out.

Gauge works as it should now, and I'm confused.

Was my ultimate fix cleaning and working the S6, S8 combo, or was it switching the wires on the gauge? Inquiring minds want to know for troubleshooting future reference. I didn't think that internal overload protection of the units ran through the ammeter.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Switching the wires on the gauge had nothing to do with the unit tripping out. Cleaning the switches is a common fix for early tripping.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not weird when you look at the schematic and see that the load signals go through those switches. Glad you got it up and going.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One could change the wiring to bypass both S6 & S8 all together as far as the Load sensing is concerned.
This would eliminate overloads caused by poor contacts in S6 & S8.
Assume you are running 240 Single Phase it looks like adding 3 jumpers across terminals on S6 would do the trick.
Would need to leave S6 setting alone when the jumpers are installed.

devilphrog

Thanks for all of the input all; I'm going to keep the current configuration of S6 and S8 currently, but it would be an interesting project for somebody to make it a permanent 240 / 1 Ph unit. May have to revisit this if these components fry out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks