• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Chewing

sassriverrat

Good Evening,

M923A2 concerted to an M925A2. 8.3 unmodified. Fuel turned up 3/4 turn (so not much). Almost no smoke whatsoever.

Anyway- pulling stuff apart to clean and paint (and rebuild alternator), I found that the compressor side of the turbo has some pretty chewy looking blades- all looked like the were put on a grinding wheel because the metal is scrapped off to one side and ROUGH. Nothing apparent to cause this. Shaft has maybe MAYBE a few thousandths of play in it- just enough that I can see a wiggle.

Any ideas on this? Cost of upgrading vs rebuilding vs swapping out?

Has ever so slight blue smoke at idle and underway so I perceive maybe some oil blowing by?

Thanks,
Austen

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hx50 upgrade and an intercooler is under $600 for everything
Good Evening,

M923A2 concerted to an M925A2. 8.3 unmodified. Fuel turned up 3/4 turn (so not much). Almost no smoke whatsoever.

Anyway- pulling stuff apart to clean and paint (and rebuild alternator), I found that the compressor side of the turbo has some pretty chewy looking blades- all looked like the were put on a grinding wheel because the metal is scrapped off to one side and ROUGH. Nothing apparent to cause this. Shaft has maybe MAYBE a few thousandths of play in it- just enough that I can see a wiggle.

Any ideas on this? Cost of upgrading vs rebuilding vs swapping out?

Has ever so slight blue smoke at idle and underway so I perceive maybe some oil blowing by?

Thanks,
Austen
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
More power. Better throttle response. Intercooler allows you to get rid of the aftercooler and itll keep your EGTs under 1100 even at high fuel rate and to the floor.

I have a large intercooler for sale. Another member here is doing the HX50 swap right now20180625_130708.jpg20180625_130657.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change out the air filter, all those pieces parts went right back into it.

jasonjc

Your may be need more than just a turbo. I'll bet the engine is "dusted". We have had to do an inframe on one and the turbo looked way better than that.

74M35A2

Your turbo experienced FOD, Foreign Object Damage. The amount of play you specify is normal for a hydro-dynamic bearing and was not the cause. Oil takes up that space once running. It is required to have clearance to lubricate and float the carrier bushing which spins at half of shaft speed. The few hundred dollar turbos are Chinese, most seem OK, but... You could get a used genuine Holset for the same $.

Slight smoke can be from a weak or leaking OFV, Overflow Valve, the spring loaded one way check valve on the injection pump outlet, common wear item. Can also be from air leaking through old fuel suction hose, dribbling fuel injector, etc...

HX-50 alone will delay throttle response, as it is a larger turbo than the HX-40, but it will blow more air on the top end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks