• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello all from Alaska with two M1083A1

AKAustria

The past few weeks have been pretty exciting - and unforeseeable events made me a proud owner of not just one but two non working 5ton's!
And despite missing a lot of parts, I was able to get one started already!
If anyone has good sources for parts, other than e-bay etc., - I would very much appreciate pointers.
IMG_1608.jpg

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the ones you're talking about and congrats! Make sure to take the ECMs to Cat and get them hard flashed so they don't leave you stranded without warning.

71DeuceAK

Welcome from another Alaska member! (Fairbanks and Southeast). Due to unforeseen events I myself have found myself surrounded by 5 tons, even though they aren't my own.

Shoot me a PM if you ever want to get together!

AKAustria

Hi fuzzytoaster!
Just learned something... didn't know they had ECM's, even thought they don't have any electronics.
Have been skimming over the TM and tried to find out more about those nifty ECM's and where they might be. No luck so far.
Why would you flash them, if you don't mind educating me.
I have a CAT dealer only 60miles from me, although they are heavy equipment (NC Machinery)
Anything you are willing to share, I am eager to learn every little bit about those trucks!
Thanks,
Andy

AKAustria

Hey 71DeuceAK!
Too funny - I am also half & half AK! Juneau and Talkeetna (summer), which is where I intend to work on them and enjoy every bit of it.
I definitely would be curious to hear more about your circumstances!
I will keep it in mind in case I would come north or maybe in southeast?!

How many 5-tons are we talking?

AKAustria

Ready!

GREETINGS!
Welcome Aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:
Thank you USAFSS-ColdWarrior! I can already tell that my gut was right and this is one amazing hobby! Although it will take quite some $$$ to get them going I am afraid!
I am confident that this forum is THE place to get little things figured out. Seems as there are a lot of good experienced people here on this forum.
Fingers crossed, I will have them BOTH alive in less than one year or so... :roll:

AKAustria

Welcome to the site and the hobby. Nice tidy looking trucks.
Thanks dmetalmiki!
They look quite nice from a save distance, on closer inspection quite a few flaws come to light. Missing parts is my biggest challenge at this point unfortunately.
But I am enjoying every moment of it! It's going to be an amazing hobby (and money-pit I am afraid)

snowtrac nome

welcome from out west in nome Brad at the dowling napa store in anchorage has been helping me to find commercial replacement parts through the napa system he will be stocking tierod ends.

AKAustria

welcome from out west in nome Brad at the dowling napa store in anchorage has been helping me to find commercial replacement parts through the napa system he will be stocking tierod ends.
Excellent! I have already been looking for a starter solenoid, and read in one thread that NAPA parts will work.
Thanks for the contact snowtrac nome! I will have to give Brad a call!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks