• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanting to slow down my M35A2

brinkmuckfarms

I need to slow it down to run beside a harvester. Sounds like the 2 1/2 T trucks all have the same gearing? We have the engine throddled down but still too fast. Any options known?
1971 M35A2 2 1/2 T
Multi-fuel “diesel”
Diverco manual transmission
2520-00-884-4833

Last edited by a moderator:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes all the trucks have the same gearing, are you using low range on the transfer case? The only other thing I can think of is going with a smaller tire to slow it down without riding the brake or clutch.

By the way I think you are the first person wanting to "slow down" a deuce :mrgreen:

brinkmuckfarms

How do I know if this transmission is a 3053? I do have a 1953 Reo in the "junk yard" with a Spicer Model 3052 transmission. Would this transmission be interchangeable with the 71 model I'm working on? Bolt patterns appear to be the same...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are perfectly interchangeable.

99% your '71 has a 3053. That's what came from factory, behind every single Multifuel engine.
But if you want to be 100% sure you need to remove the top and look inside to count the teeth.

This is what the 3053 has:
Spicer3053A. gears.jpg

And this is the 3052:
Spicer3052, gears.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the transmission is bolted to a OA331 gas engine, 99.999% chance it's a 3052. Will bolt right in.

sandcobra164

I'd check as suggested earlier and ensure the transfer case is in low range. The lever between the drivers seat and passenger bench seat needs to be on the floor. 1st detent from there is neutral, all the way up is high range. My deuce would go slower than my walking speed in low range, 1st gear, and idling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks