• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Propane Carb Conversion, Hobart Welder/Wisconsin Engine

MatthewH

Has anybody converted the Hobart G-204 welder that comes in the M-887 service body from gas to propane? I have a low hour unit I use mainly for backup 120v power, and mild welding I'd like to convert, and having a hard time finding a kit.

The welder itself is powered by a Wisconsin VG-4D 4cyl engine. I don't use it as much as i used to, and even with rec/ethenol free gas and running the engine out if gas still seem to have carb issues from sitting

Thanks

MatthewH

I have an email into them, with some general question's about there kits and setup.

Was hoping somebody had traveled this path already, or had a used setup they were looking to sell so I could pick there brain

snowtrac nome

Those welders have a control box that if frequency gets to high or low they will blow the box and parts are not available anymore and that was back in the late 80's. when they run right they are an awesome welder, but I like the diesel models much better.

CMPPhil

Hi

Another source for propane conversion unit would be forklift repair or sales outlet. Hospital I worked for years ago searched for a propane conversion until, tried all the normal generator dealers they wanted to sell them a new generator, the forklift outfit wanted to know displacement, RPM and came up with a conversion unit.

Just a thought

Phil

MatthewH

Those welders have a control box that if frequency gets to high or low they will blow the box and parts are not available anymore and that was back in the late 80's. when they run right they are an awesome welder, but I like the diesel models much better.
Only issues I've had with the control box was the relay on top was bad when I first got it. Other than figuring out how the box worked and controlled the ignition system, haven't had any issues so far.
Parts do seem difficult to source, most generator side stuff seems to have to come out of Canada, and off Ebay. Naturally Miller doesn't support older Hobart equipment anymore, except for manuals, they did send me the correct manual with parts lists and diagrams.

MatthewH

Hi

Another source for propane conversion unit would be forklift repair or sales outlet. Hospital I worked for years ago searched for a propane conversion until, tried all the normal generator dealers they wanted to sell them a new generator, the forklift outfit wanted to know displacement, RPM and came up with a conversion unit.

Just a thought

Phil
Hadn't even thought of checking with a forklift company. There's a couple semi local I'll have to stop in and ask

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks