• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 35 cargo cover

FloridaAKM

Make sure your super rope is good & not brittle. Install it as Back2Wyo previously posted & keep each side even on the bed as it hangs as you tie it down. If you don't like the valleys in between the ribs on the top (they catch water & snow) you can add 3/4" foam board insulation in between(on the top)of the ribs & the cover to make it more of a rigid tent on top to make the rain/snow drain off. I did this to camp in the bed of the truck to insure no leaks & water problems & it withstands Florida heavy thunderstorms & even Irma(the hurricane) last year with no leaks. Being in Utah, I think Hurricanes are the least of your worries. Post some pictures of your truck with the cover on it when you get it installed.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I am saying this not to be mean or rude, look at the TM. It has pictures and makes it real easy. Again I am not trying to be that guy, but in this case the TM is better than typed words here.

TM 9-2320-361-10 page 2-202 chapter 2-49 DEC 1988

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Longevity tip. Do not leave it on for long periods of time. UV rays from the sun will eat through the vinyl paint and down into the cloth below, making it stiff. Then, when you are driving that stiff cover will rip from movement and no longer offer the protection it was designed for. What is a long period of time - more than a month in the sun no matter what the elevation or latitude. It may take several years for the damage to become visible, but once it does, there's no going back and no treatment that will restore the flexibility. If you catch it early enough a coat or two of 'cool seal' followed by a top coat of Bher type house paint in the correct prime color (383 green or 686 tan) will give you another year or two, but the paint and coating is not flexible enough for much highway use. YMMV.2cents

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same goes for cotton canvas material: Try to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sun light; UV-rays do more damage than one might think!
(It is extremely bad in this part of the world, so if a truck has to stay outdoors for longer we use a cheap (expendable) tarp to cover... the cover!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the diagram is of the old-style 3-piece tarp it doesn't cover one point for the newer one-piece style. Make sure you get the thing on with the front to the front!
The front flap is the one with the straps, and it has triangular corners that fold around to the sides and cover the front of the side flaps. This keeps the wind and rain out of the sides.
The rear of the side flaps has the same corners which fold around the back.

Even the military sometimes get this wrong, I've seen many LMTVs going down the road with an inflated, flopping, tarp because it was backwards and catching the wind. :roll:

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple of pictures to help illustrate, since pictures convey what words sometimes can't. One is on an M35, the tan one is the current LMTV style.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks